Auburn encourages learning after degree

In 1990, Auburn University started a program called AUall, a learning academy for adults, under Mary Burkhart, founding director.

In 2007, Burkhart, who is now the executive director, applied for and received a grant from the Bernard L. Osher Foundation, a group that provides funding for various programs, primarily educational programs, which changed the name from AUall to the Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, or OLLI.

Linda Shooks, associate director, said that OLLI is premier learning institute across the nation and that eight of the SEC schools have OLLI programs.

"It's neat program for the older adult," Shooks said.

Shooks said the program is for people who want to continue learning, but are not degree seeking.

The program is set up on a quarter system and runs from July 1 to June 30 of the following year and is $75 per quarter or $225 for the year.

Shooks said a variety of classes are offered and there are about 250 participants each day that come to classes and over 600 participants in the program.

Although OLLI is a program set up for continued learning in older adults, Shooks said that their bylaws are designed for anyone to attend and join the program.

Shooks said people would be surprised to know of the many partnerships that they have with organizations in the community. They work with the East Alabama Medical Center, the AU Hearing and Speech Clinic, the pharmacy school and people often call up the program for volunteers at events like working tailgates on game day weekends.

Carl Thompson, an OLLI participant who also serves on the board of directors, said that for people who are looking to get involved, it is continuing education and a great way to continue learning.

Thompson said that he enjoyed the friendships, social networking and meeting all of the unique people who have accomplished a lot in their lives.

"It is a way to meet some very quality good people," Thompson said. "I find that very enjoyable."

"It's almost like a neighborhood within the town," said Sonny Dawsey, who serves on the board of directors for OLLI. "You know in a neighborhood you get to know your neighbors and your friend and do things together, well that's the same feeling you get over there."

Dawsey, who is a retired geography teacher from Auburn, teaches and takes classes through OLLI and has been involved since he retired four years ago.

Dawsey said it's a real attraction for people who are contemplating retiring and have the time to get involved in something.

Shooks said that every summer, OLLI hosts a party for all of its members who are 90 years old and older. Last year there were over a dozen attendees.

OLLI is launching its Facebook and Twitter accounts on Monday, April 29, at an event called "Tweet Tweet- A very Social Bird on the Wire."

"We' re excited about that," Shooks said.

Anyone looking to get involved or want find out more information about OLLI can check out its website, olliatauburn.org.

Share and discuss “Auburn encourages learning after degree” on social media.