Auburn football accused of NCAA violations

Mike McNeil, former Auburn safety. (Emily Adams / PHOTOGRAPHER)

Former Auburn safety Mike McNeil, with the help of Roopstigo.com writer Selena Roberts, has accused the football program of multiple NCAA violations dating back to the Tommy Tuberville era in 2007.
The report, released just days before McNeil’s trial for his involvement in a 2011 armed robbery, cited cash transactions, academic fraud and recruiting violations were committed during his time at the University.
The story features testimony from McNeil, former Auburn wide receiver Darvin Adams and former defensive end Mike Blanc.
The report accuses the Auburn football program going back to current Florida head coach Will Muschamp's tenure as defensive coordinator at Auburn in 2007. McNeil told Roberts he had received $400 from Muschamp after a difficult day of practice. Muschamp has since denied the payment through a University of Florida spokesperson.
Payments were also allegedly offered to Adams to remain at Auburn for his senior season as quoted in the article by McNeil and Blanc. Adams confirmed in the article that he was offered money to stay, but since its publication multiple quoted players have denied what was reported by Roberts.
Blanc took to Twitter and denied his involvement and the validity of the article.
“Man this article is outrageous and isn’t true. The media will do anything for a juicy story smh #sad,” read Blanc’s tweet.
The article, which is titled “Auburn’s Tainted Title: Victims Violations and Vendettas for Glory,” published Wednesday, April 3, has become the center of a large debate regarding its legitimacy.
The author, Selena Roberts, is known for her controversial stories that according to the Kansas City Star include comparing the Duke Lacrosse team members acquitted of rape to gang members and career criminals. She was also a former New York Times columnist and Sports Illustrated writer before creating Roopstigo.com where the story was originally published.
Former Auburn linebacker Neiko Thorpe was quoted in the article as saying “Auburn does what Auburn wants,” in regard to the football program’s operations without NCAA knowledge, has since defended himself and bashed Roberts.
“While I have spoke to Selena Roberts about (McNeil) I have just read her article & not only am I misquoted, but my words are very out of context,” said Thorpe on Twitter. “We didn’t talk about NCAA violations or recruiting.”
Since the article was published, Thorpe, Blanc and former Auburn linebacker Darren Bates have all extensively criticized Roberts’ reporting.
Further into the content of the article, McNeil was reported saying Auburn changed his grade in a computer science class in order to be eligible to play in the national championship game.
After receiving an F for attendance, McNeil went to his professor and a higher-ranking administrator. Unsuccessful in getting the grade changed, McNeil consulted his athletics counselor and the grade was allegedly raised to a C within a few days, allowing him to play.
Former head coach Gene Chizik was portrayed in the article as a paranoid, power hungry football coach who ran a regime in the football department laced with player surveillance, excessive drug testing and prejudiced opinions.
While Chizik was known to be distant from his players, the evidence in the report sheds new light on his era as the leader of Auburn football. Allegedly Chizik was a part of a “culture war” among the players and coaches, asking athletes to cut their dreads and maintain a specific image.
The article cited Chizik and his coaches as distributing hundreds of drug tests throughout the season and that more than 40 players tested positive for recreational drugs in the days after the national championship.
Former defensive end Antoine Carter was quoted as saying, “If you were black and had dreadlocks and tattoos, you were somehow tested more in what was called random testing.”
Furthermore, McNeil said he was given $500 to help recruit former star Alabama defensive back Dre Kirkpatrick in an effort to get him to commit to Auburn.
More information will be posted as it becomes available.

Share and discuss “Auburn football accused of NCAA violations” on social media.