Fans tie the knot beneath Toomer's

Toni and Ray Sapp were married today beneath the Toomer's Corner Oaks. (Raye May / PHOTO EDITOR)

Toni Beth Holland and her boyfriend of five years, Ray Sapp, shouted "War Eagle" as well as "I do," Sunday, April 21.

The pair tied the knot under the toilet-papered Toomer's Oaks today for Holland's 36th birthday.

Holland, now Sapp, said she and Ray met through work and, though they did not attend Auburn, they've always been big fans.

"We didn't go to school down here, we just have season tickets and come down here every chance we get," said Holland "We love it."

Though a large crowd was present to roll the trees and take their final pictures with the soon-to-be gone oak trees, Holland said it actually made the day more special.

"We love it. It was cool, it was awesome, hearing everybody 'War Eagle' and cheer as we got married. That was really cool," Holland said.

When the couple told their families they would be getting married beneath Toomer's Corner, Holland said their relatives were unsurprised. The couple made a last minute tweet to WarBlogle to find someone to officiate it this weekend.

"We had talked about it, and we just decided Friday that we'd go to Lee County and get our marriage license and do it today," Holland said.

Cliff McCollum, news editor at the Opelika Observer and an Auburn and Plainsman alumnus, performed the ceremony.

Holland said she and Sapp wanted to get married before the Oaks are cut down Tuesday, April 23.

"We'd have probably ended up getting married here anyway, after like a football game," Holland said. "We wanted to do it before the trees came down, during all this while everybody is here, celebrating all this. It's very special. It's sad, but it's special at the same time."

The newlyweds went to a traditional Auburn haunt, Niffer's Place, following the ceremony and said that instead of a honeymoon, they usually save their vacation days to come to Auburn for football games.

"We honeymoon every weekend down here," Holland said. "This is the best place on Earth. We wouldn't want to vacation anywhere else."

Share and discuss “Fans tie the knot beneath Toomer's” on social media.