Auburn hires Oklahoma's Sunny Golloway as new baseball coach

Sunny Golloway and Jay Jacobs at Golloway's introductory press conference Saturday, June 15.

Athletics Director Jay Jacobs announced Sunny Golloway has been named Auburn's next baseball coach Friday, June 14.
This was the second hire of the day after Jacobs hired Clint Myers as the new softball coach earlier Friday afternoon.
Golloway has spent the past eight seasons as the head coach at the University of Oklahoma, and has led the Sooners to seven NCAA regional berths, four NCAA super-regionals and the 2010 College World Series.
In his introductory press conference Saturday, June 15, Golloway said there were two things that secured his interest in being Auburn's next baseball coach. The first was the Auburn community, its people and traditions, and the second was Jacobs.
"The minute I met Jay Jacobs I knew," Golloway said. "When I met Jay I knew there was a commitment to winning championships, and sometimes when you sit down with people you hit it off and you know."
Jacobs said Golloway possessed everything he was looking for in a new baseball coach.
"When we started out we wanted to hire a coach that was a proven winner and someone that had a proven track record of developing players," Jacobs said. "Sunny has had more than 100 players drafted and he's been to 14 of the last 15 regionals. That's really important, but we have all come to admire about coach is his character and integrity. He wants to invest in these young men's lives. Not just on the baseball diamond, but also in their life."
Golloway said he has had other opportunities to make a move and come to the SEC, but the time was never right. After his success in Okla., Golloway said it didn't seem like he would ever leave.
"I know in my gut when to make the pitching change, when to make the hit and run, when to lay down a bunt and I also know when to make a move," Golloway said. "We've been offered opportunities to come to the SEC conference in the past and it wasn't the right time in life."
Golloway also said that the recruiting hotbed of the SEC is another reason why he decided to make the move.
"I know we are in a hotbed for baseball talent and we are going to be able to bring those Athletes to Auburn," Golloway said. "We know Atlanta and we know the East Cobb League and there isn't a quality team in the country that doesn't. It's been hard to pull those players out of the SEC, so these players are going to desire coming to Auburn. I can only imagine what it's going to be like on football game day and we are recruiting them."
Golloway plans to take time to celebrate Father's Day with his family and then work on hiring a coaching staff, meeting with the current players and begin to start building relationships with recruits.
He also said he has brought some assistant coaches with him from Okla. and they will decide if they want to join him at Auburn.
"They've got to make sure their family is on board before I actually announce them, but everything looks really good," Golloway said.
His coaching philosophy is simple, but he also believes that you have to be open to change if you want to keep up in college baseball.
"Pitching and defense are what win championships, there is no doubt about that," Golloway said. "But, you have to be able to score some runs once the pitching and defense is shutting them down. Pitching and defense has definitely changed over the years and you have to be able to change with it."
With the SEC putting nine teams into postseason play and two in the College World Series, Golloway knows that he has a tough task ahead.
"Being in the SEC is very appealing to anybody in the country," Golloway said. "This is without question the best conference in America, and we're really looking forward to the challenge."
Golloway said he is looking forward to what Auburn has to offer, and what he can bring to the table.
"I'm really excited about this opportunity because I've always held the Auburn baseball program in very high regard," Golloway said.

Share and discuss “Auburn hires Oklahoma's Sunny Golloway as new baseball coach” on social media.