Former APD Chief Dawson honored, other news from Auburn City Council

Nine city employees were given service pins and plaques at Auburn City Council Tuesday, July 2, but none received a larger show of appreciation than former Auburn Police Chief Tommy Dawson.
Dawson received a standing ovation from both the Council and the citizens in attendance as Mayor Bill Ham gave him an award honoring Dawson's recent retirement and 26 years of service to the Auburn Police Department.
After, Dawson told the Council he'd still be working if not for Parkinson's disease.
"I'd almost pay you to let me do this job," Dawson said.
Dawson retired May 28 after his doctor informed him the stress of the job was not helping his fight with Parkinson's.
Excluding Mayor Ham, the eight-person council lacked three members Tuesday, but the most notable absence was Councilman Arthur Dowdell.
An unspecified member of Dowdell's family died, and Dowdell was traveling to New Orleans for family reasons, according to Ham.
Councilmen Bob Norman and Brent Beard were also out of town.
Shyrell Velez-White was named Employee of the Month for her work with the Environmental Services Department.
Andrea Mitchell (Economic Development Dept.), Will Kimrey (Information Technology Dept.), Tonya Haynes (Auburn Public Library), Larry Dowdell (Parks and Recreation) Kenny Frazier (Public Safety Dept.), and Jude Hackett and Clarence Stewart (Auburn Police Dept.) received service pins for extended time working in their respective departments.
Linda Burns (Finance Dept.) and Jeff Nolin (Public Safety - Fire Division) were scheduled to appear for the award but were absent.
Additionally, the annexation of property owned by Michael Keel in Stonewall Acres subdivision was discussed. According to public records, Keel appeared before the Council at the April 2 meeting this year to oppose Ann Bennett, a Stonewall Acres homeowner also present at the meeting.
According to the record, Bennett voiced concerns that the homes planned to be built by Keel on the properties don't conform to the subdivision policies. The annexation was approved by all but Councilman Gene Dulaney who abstained from voting on the ordinance.
Three board positions are also vacant. Auburn downtown Redevelopment Authority has two vacancies with each of the current six-year terms set to expire July 18.
Greenspace Advisory Board has an opening for one four-year term after the current term ends August 7.
There were no communications or concerns presented by either Auburn University or the public.

Share and discuss “Former APD Chief Dawson honored, other news from Auburn City Council” on social media.