New strength program gives Tigers a boost during fall practice

Senior defensive end Nosa Eguae answers questions during press conference. Anna Grafton / ASSISTANT PHOTO EDITOR

Since Auburn last took the field many things have changed.
Coaches were fired, coaches were hired, players left, players stayed, but the biggest change and possibly the most productive change that occurred this offseason has been behind closed doors in Auburn's weight room.
New strength and conditioning coach Ryan Russell has brought in a completely new system for the Tigers.
"There were definitely some differences. It was a really intense weight room," senior defensive end Nosa Eguae said. "We weren't just staying at our own bench station we were constantly moving. Guys definitely got stronger and faster."
Not only did the team get stronger and faster, they also changed their bodies. With the help of personal goals set by Russell, players were told to either lose weight, gain weight and he was even more specific by asking them to lose body fat as well.
"My body fat right now is 19 percent. I went from 259 in January to 269 now," Eguae said. "I put on six pounds of muscle and went down three percent body fat. Anytime you see those types of results you know you have definitely bought in."
Eguae is not the only member of the team who needed to make changes this offseason. Junior college transfer Ben Bradley had the biggest changes to make once he arrived on campus.
Earlier this week Bradley tweeted out a photo of his accomplishments that he had achieved this offseason and they included losing 33 pounds and eight percent body fat.
"That's a testament to him and that is a testament to everybody around him who kept him positive because it was tough," Eguae said. "I definitely salute that guy and look forward to competing against him."
Not only do achievements like this help the player individually, but it also helps the team by serving as a motivator for everyone else.
When a goal is reached by a player he gets to ring "the bell" that sits in the Tigers weight room and helps tell other players when their goal has been reached.
"When someone rings the bell it really fuels the emotions in the weight room," senior linebacker Jake Holland said. "Everybody gets pumped up and cheers everybody on. It really makes us more of a unit instead of just one guy getting better."
This then turns into a competition between players to see who can achieve the most, which then helps them learn to compete on the field as well.
"You're competing with yourself and you are competing with other guys, and that's how it should be," Egua said. "Everything was set up with your position group so your going against guys that you are competing against on the field."
"It was high energy and everybody was competing," senior defensive end Ken Carter said. "Everyone was grinding to get better, and everybody took it seriously."
With the goals being set high for the Tigers in the weight room it has also helped them have high goals and expectations on the football field as well.
When Quan Bray was asked if a bowl game was Auburn's goal this season, and if they would be disappointed if they did not reach a bowl game again this year, his answer was simple.
"Bowl game? We are shooting for the national championship."

Share and discuss “New strength program gives Tigers a boost during fall practice” on social media.