Students place in Atlanta 48 Hour Film Project

While most of us spent our summer weekends looking for ways to avoid working, a group of Auburn students and alumni entered Atlanta's 48 Hour Film Project with the complete opposite in mind.
After a weekend filled with sleepless nights, the group, comprised of current and graduated Auburn students under the team name Love Handles, ultimately won big in a contest that featured more than 70 competitors.
"Sure it was stressful, and you get no sleep and you're exhausted as hell, but its nice to start something and to finish it right away, as opposed to shooting something and then letting it sit around," said Charlie Harper, senior in radio, television and film. "It feels nice to not have the option to procrastinate."
The contest, now in its 11th year in Atlanta, took place from June 14-16 and ranged from high school groups to recent college graduates and experienced professionals.
Each team that enters will have their film projected on the main screen of the Landmark Theater in Midtown, Atlanta, with the films blocked out in small groups over six days.
Teams must draw from a hat to find out what genre their film will be, from a selection that includes operetta, western and more.
Any team that exceeds the 48-hour time limit and fails to submit their film by 7:30 p.m. Sunday is automatically disqualified.
"I think it kind of worked to our advantage though because most of us have been in college for four years and we were used to working with no time," said Brad Zellner, senior in radio, television and film. "It's like trying to finish a paper with no time the night before. We had that kind of experience from the last few years behind us."
After drawing suspense-thriller, the team worked in shifts to write and storyboard a story of a young girl's disappearance from a park and ultimate rescue from a spooky basement.
The team was comprised of filmmakers who already had experience around Atlanta interning for multimedia companies such as FUGO Studios and BARK-BARK.
Between shooting at multiple locations across town, editing scenes on the fly and developing characters and plot mostly on the spot, the group said it was a team effort.
Love Handles' film "Butterfly" took home the viewer's choice award in its viewer block, making it one of six films competing for the grand prize.
Members of the Love Handles team said they were pleased with their work and with the festival, which not only challenges upstart filmmakers to work and think in new ways, but brings together a community of like-minded individuals.
"It was fun because there's a competitive edge to it, but at the same time, it was a really good networking opportunity because everyone is meeting new people and talking about their strategies," said Brock Hanson, member of Auburn's media production team. "There are veterans who have done it before, and there are ones that this is their first year."
For most, though, the opportunity to see their films on the same screen that plays summer blockbusters is what makes it all worthwhile.
"It's fun seeing your name projected bigger than yourself," Zellner said. "And the sound kind of envelops you."
Love Handles is currently campaigning to enter "Butterfly" into the much larger 2014 Atlanta Film Festival.
In the meantime, they said they will return to their day jobs, writing, practicing and networking in preparation for their next 48 hour project.

Share and discuss “Students place in Atlanta 48 Hour Film Project” on social media.