From Plains to Peace Corps

During his time at Auburn, he was a Camp War Eagle Counselor, philanthropy chair of his social fraternity, vice president of his club soccer team, employee of Foy information desk, director for Alternative Student Breaks and now, he's joining the Peace Corps.
Nick Davis graduated from Auburn in May 2013 with a bachelor of science in biomedical sciences, a bachelor of arts in psychology and scores of experiences through involvement and activities.
As his time at Auburn dwindled, however, Davis continued to feel unsure about his future plans.
"I didn't know what I wanted to do when I graduated," Davis said. "And then I started looking into (the Peace Corps) more, and I just fell in love with it."
One thing his colorful past of involvement at Auburn sparked within, however, was his spirit for serving.
"I went on a trip to Costa Rica [with Alternative Student Breaks] and we worked on community development," Davis said. "We actually worked on a couple of orphanages. I always was passionate about service, but that trip just came at a point in my life where I was like, 'OK, I love this. I could do this.'"
Davis applied to volunteer for the Peace Corps in April 2012, after his mother suggested the idea.
"As he progressed in college, it just seemed that he was more interested in getting involved and helping people on different avenues," said Denise Davis, Nick's mother. "I'm very proud of him, he took it all into his own hands and he's doing it, so let's just all say a bunch of prayers for him."
After completing the application paper work, hour-long interview, multiple check-up visits for vaccinations, legal forms and more, Nick Davis was accepted into the Peace Corps and placed into a program.
The Peace Corps allows applicants to select preferences for regions of the world they would like to live in and type of work they would like to do, but Davis left all boxes unchecked.
"I didn't care what I did," Davis said. "I just knew I wanted to do something like this, so I put no preference on everything."
The open-ended nature of Davis' application led him to Mozambique, Africa -- a Portuguese-speaking country on the coast of the Indian Ocean west of Madagascar.
Davis said he knows he will be teaching science classes in Portuguese to high school-aged students, but the details are still unknown.
"Living situations could be anything," Davis said. "The only stipulations we have are where ever we live will either have no windows or locking windows, a lock on the door and we'll have a water filter. From there, I could be in anything from a mud hut to an apartment."
Throughout his journey with the Peace Corps, Davis said he has remained open about many things in his life: post-graduate plans, preferences of the region of the world in which he will live, the work he will do. But when it comes to future plans for his time in Mozambique, it's clear Davis has a vision.
"I would love to start up something in the community I'm in," Davis said. "Whether it be a student athletic program or a health clinic, I really want to work with the system there and see what they need help with.
"I have so much contact here of people who want to help and just don't know how. I would love to be that person who sets something up in my community, and I can reach out to everyone I know here to send benefits and whatever help they can.
"So I don't know what exactly, but I'm hoping to start something up. I want to leave a mark for the people I'm going to be living with."
Stay updated with Davis' adventures through his blog: NickInMozambique.Blogspot.com.

Share and discuss “From Plains to Peace Corps” on social media.