Letter to the Editor: Education: The Key to Fighting Bigotry and Discrimination

In the most recent issue of The Plainsman (9/5/13) a graduate student writes how
she and her family and friends "were subject to harassment, taunting, and provocation by
fans in the student section for the AU-Washington State game. One of her party became
the object of "heinous masculinity baiting" and a woman referred to her "as a F----JEW."
At that, she and her party understandably left the game and she has now requested that
for future games she be seated in a place "free from sexist, homophobic, and anti-Semitic
language and behavior."
I am outraged by this behavior on the part of these fans, particularly when we
pride ourselves as the "Auburn family." Every person in our society deserves respect and
consideration and anti-Semitism has no place anywhere in today's world. Jewish students
who have over the years taken my courses in religious studies have always been reluctant
to identify themselves as Jewish (and rightfully so) for fear that other students would
attempt to convert them to Christianity.
No one becomes tolerant, open-minded, and respectful of differences automatically.
It comes both from one's values, experiences, and education. And that's why President
Philpott established the Religion Department about 40 years ago, so that students would
discover the beauty and truth found in the world's religions. However, the program in
religious studies may wither on the vine and die a certain death. When I retire at the
end of this academic year, my position will not be filled by a scholar trained in religious
studies. This past year the major in religious studies was terminated and now the minor
is in jeopardy, since there will be no one to shepherd the program. I find this development
to be quite sad and lamentable.
It all boils down to finances. As I understand it, AU is planning to eliminate such
programs as the Human Odyssey, the program in Sustainability Studies, and possibly the
Civilization and Technology programs, all of which are interdisciplinary in nature. What
we have here is the business model applied to higher education, or the corporatization
of the university. With a budget approaching a billion dollars, can we not spare the
program in religious studies and these other worthwhile programs that have expanded
our students' minds for decades? Is this not a case of being penny wise and pound foolish?

Share and discuss “Letter to the Editor: Education: The Key to Fighting Bigotry and Discrimination” on social media.