Auburn all in and all pink

Friday, Oct. 18, Auburn's very own Alpha Kappa Alpha and Alpha Delta Pi sororities hosted the third annual All In All Pink breast cancer awareness event.
The affair took place on the AU Student Center Greenspace from 11:00 a.m.-1 p.m.
Organizations such as Auburn University School of Nursing, The Joy To Life Foundation, Auburn University Chapter of Student National Pharmacy Association (SNPHA) and The Breast Cancer Research Foundation of Alabama were invited to come and participate.
Ebony Craig, P1 in Pharmacy School, has been the director of the event for the past three years.
In 2010, Craig and her sorority, Alpha Kappa Alpha, decided they wanted to raise awareness.
"I also worked with the Office of the University Outreach, and when they got wind of it we decided to make it into something bigger," Craig said. "We planned it in two weeks and it happened to turn out well, so we did it again this third time."
Free pizza, t-shirts, water bottles and more were passed out to the students and faulty that came out to support the cause.
Many of the visitors that attended have been personally affected by breast cancer.
Karen Clark, academic advisor in mechanical engineering, said she loves this event and has been every year.
"My identical twin sister had breast cancer about five years ago," Clark said. "She's doing very well, but I always come to get her a few souvenirs."
Daryl Kristine Basquez, P1 in pharmacy school, had heard about the event from a fellow P1 classmate.
"A lot of people I know have suffered from breast cancer so I wanted to come out and raise awareness," Basquez said.
One of the guest speakers, Brandon Johnson, hematology and oncology physician from East Alabama Medical Center, spoke on the importance of taking charge and getting checked regularly for breast cancer.
Followed by Johnson, Asher Michon spoke on the behalf of the Lower Alabama Chapter of the Guardians of the Ribbon and "Cindy" the pink fire truck.
The Pink Heals organization was founded by firemen that drive pink fire trucks and police cars, like "Cindy, across America spreading breast cancer awareness to communities all over.
The last guest speaker, Madison Billingsley, graduate from Auburn's Nursing School, told her story about surviving Stage II invasive ductal carcinoma.
In closing the event, balloons were released in honor of breast cancer survivors and victims.
Neely Duffy, junior in nursing, was one of the student nurses who participated in teaching the visitors about how to preform breast exams and checked people's blood pressures and glucose levels.
"We had to read up on some brochures before we came and I learned a lot of things that I didn't know," Duffy said. "You can get breast cancer now at age 20. I definitely think it's helping raise awareness."
Taylor Stubbs, freshman in civil engineering, also found the event to be enlightening and effective.
He plans on attending the event next year and more events raising breast cancer awareness.
"I love it," Stubbs said. "Anytime. All day. Every day."

Share and discuss “Auburn all in and all pink” on social media.