Auburn's 'Ukulele Guy' makes joyful noise on campus

Jocsan Rivera, freshman in software engineering, seranades Ali May, sophomore in animal sciences, on the Haley Concourse.

Jocsan Rivera is becoming famous, whether he realizes it or not.
The Auburn "Ukulele Guy," a freshman in software engineering, learned to play the ukulele upon arrival at Auburn four weeks ago and has been filling the campus with music ever since.
His lilting tunes can be heard on the concourse daily from noon-2 p.m. The light, friendly sound offers an auditory repose to the fast-paced lives of typical college students.
Students said they enjoy sitting at the student center and hearing him play. They also said it helps alleviate the stress of school.
While many students enjoy his music and recognize his face, Jocsan (Joc for short) still remains somewhat of a mystery. But Auburn's troubadour is open to any conversation.
Bespectacled and grinning, Joc met for the interview at the Student Center Starbucks. He had already ordered two pumpkin spice lattes and strummed as we waited for the order to come up.
"Do you want to sing?" Rivera often asks spectators. The spontaneity is often met with an embarassed, but polite, 'no.'
At a table on a third floor balcony, Joc laid down Eustace, his Diamond Head soprano ukulele. Joc exudes an energy and warmth.
He is quick, bright and easy to talk to, but admitted he has not always been comfortable with performing. He credits his outgoing personality to his accidental foray into show choir as a high schooler in Orlando, Fla. Intending to sign up for a general music class, an administrative error put him in the performance class he grew to love.
Experience as a youth pastor for New Beginnings Church in Dothan, for the past three years also got him used to meeting new people.
Inspired after hearing ukulele stars IZ and Jake Shimabukuro, Joc tried his hand at the instrument. Practicing the ukulele on campus was born out of convenience, but after seeing students' responses to it, Joc realized it served another purpose.
"I figured if I was having a bad day and a guy with weird glasses and a ukulele came up to me and started singing, it would make me feel better," Rivera said.
Joc's musical education began early. His parents, who are from Puerto Rico, sang and danced to Bachata and Merengue records.
Lately, Joc has developed an appreciation for the music of the Rat Pack and cites "Mack the Knife" as his favorite song.
On Friday nights, you can find him dancing with the Auburn University Swing Dance Association at the Jan Dempsey Community Arts Center.
Kathryn Hoerlein, senior in industrial engineering and AUSDA instructor, met Joc playing his ukulele in a hallway before dance class.
"He seemed really friendly and really excited about swing dancing," Hoerlein said.
Rivera plays his instrument wherever he goes and frequently gets requests. He's learning the Auburn fight song and more Jack Johnson per students' suggestions, but his main goal is to get everyone involved in the performance.
Even though some decline, Joc always asks listeners to sing with him.
"I'm always telling people we're going to change the world today," Rivera said. "We're going to sing a song, we're going to do something crazy.
While most reactions to Joc's playing have been positive, he has had a couple negative encounters.
One such occasion involved a student who vented about how much she wanted to set the ukulele on fire to shut Joc up.
Rivera said, "it's fireproof," and was met with appreciative laughter from listeners nearby.
"I'm begging for a reaction," Rivera said. "It's either going to be positive or negative, and I'm going to learn how to deal with the negative."
For Rivera, the ability to change someone's life through music is more important than backlash from the people who find him annoying.
"I brought it to play and try to make somebody smile," Rivera said. "And I'm gonna keep doing it until people stop smiling."
Jocsan Rivera can be reached at Facebook.com/AuburnUkuleleGuy.
Rivera also started The Auburn United Ukulele Collaboration.
Meetings are Tuesdays at 5 p.m. in the Auburn University Student Center starting mid-October.

Share and discuss “Auburn's 'Ukulele Guy' makes joyful noise on campus” on social media.