SGA Senate Council addresses graduate students' shock concerning Wellness Center policy

The only new order of business at the SGA Senate Council meeting was the amendment of chapter 305 in the SGA Code of Laws Monday, Oct. 14. However, a new policy concerning Graduate students' membership to the Student Recreation and Wellness center was the main focus.
Graduate students said they were shocked to learn last week that a new policy was passed ordering them to purchase a membership for the recreation and wellness center, sharply contradicting the previous policy.
Approximately 1,800 graduate student research and teaching assistants were asked to begin paying the faculty membership price of $50 per month, per semester, in order to use the new buildings. The total remaining price would be $100.
"Upon further investigation I found out this was a new policy sent down from Student Financial Services to recoup some of the money that is waved in our tuition waiver as a graduate assistant," said David Adams, Graduate School senator and GTA in political science. "We were basically sold on the idea that we could use the facilities for free, and now midway through the semester we are asked to purchase a membership."
In other news, there will be discussions on campus tomorrow concerning American history and on-campus dining.
David McCullough, winner of two Pulitzer Prizes, author of "1776" and named "America's most famous historian" will be discussing the importance of history in education and citizenship in a free lecture at the Auburn Arena Tuesday, Oct. 15th at 11 a.m.
On-campus dining is on the menu in the second HeAUrd That! campus discussion event among students and the faculty, staff and administration Tuesday, Oct. 15 at 1 p.m. in Student Center Room 2222.
"Even if you don't necessarily have a question, your conversation, your input is valuable," said Logan Powell, representative for the executive committee for facilities and junior in political science. "You can voice complaints, ask questions and talk with the people in charge about making changes."
The Black Student Union is hosting a night of jazz and poetry featuring performances from Auburn students Thursday, Oct. 17, in the Student Center ballroom.
Under New Orders of Business, the SGA Senate Council addressed the amendment to Chapter 305 of the SGA Code of Laws concerning the Executive Council's voting abilities.
In future elections, the council's vote will be determined by 2/3rds majority of the senators present at the council, instead of the previous four-person voting council.

Share and discuss “SGA Senate Council addresses graduate students' shock concerning Wellness Center policy” on social media.