UPC reels in 'Catfish' creator Nev Schulman

You and your estranged Internet partner may not be on speaking terms, but Nev Schulman of MTV's "Catfish" might have some advice for you.
"Catfish" is the MTV reality show where an individual in an Internet relationship requests their significant other be investigated by Schulman and filmmaker Max Joseph to ensure their information is accurate.
The show then forces the two to meet in real life.
The filmmaker and host of the Internet-relationship-exposure show will speak at the Auburn Arena Tuesday, Oct. 22, about his experiences on the show and what it was like to be "catfished" personally.
Since his own experience was brought to life in the documentary, "Catfish," Schulman gives real-life, long-distance couples a chance to begin a life outside the Internet, in person after appearing on the show.
"He'll be discussing social media and how it affects people, how people are 'catfished' and how it affects people," said Ryan Akers, director of the comedians and guest speakers committee for the University Program Council. "Lots of people are taken advantage of by others on social media."
Akers said the show provides a chance for people with lies and constructed personalities to be cleared up after allowing their Internet identity to obscure their real lives and negatively affect their relationships.
"I'm just looking forward to hearing how people actually perform these acts," Akers said. "How people are manipulated through social media, how many people out there do take advantage of others, how common it is, I guess just that sort of thing."
Although some students criticize UPC for their entertainment choices, UPC wants students to understand it remains committed to appealing to their interests and the constraints of the budget.
"UPC makes offers, and the first people we offer don't always accept," Akers said. "So sometimes the people we bring aren't our first choice either, but that's kind of just the situation with everyone."
Schulman will stay for a question and answer session and a meet-and-greet with fans after the event.
Admission is free. The Arena doors open at 6:30 p.m., and the show begins at 7 p.m.

Share and discuss “UPC reels in 'Catfish' creator Nev Schulman” on social media.