Musician on the rise, Trace Pridgen, gaining fame with "weird" covers

Pridgen commonly performs country-music covers (Photo contributed by Trace Pridgen)

Local musician Trace Pridgen prides himself on providing a good time for all every time he steps onstage.
An Opelika native, Pridgen knows what the residents of Auburn, and the surrounding area, want to hear. He aims to condense his description of his music's style as "Southern rock-ish," but said he strives to not limit himself to one genre.
Pridgen began his music career at the piano keys and did so through high school.
"I quit playing for a while until my freshman year of college," Pridgen said. "I picked up a guitar, then after a while realized playing wasn't enough for me. I wanted more. I wanted to perform."
Prigden began performing at favorite local hangouts, including Toomer's Coffee and Shakey's Pizza. Pridgen said he begged to play in some places, learned the ropes of the industry and went from there.
"When you first start out in music, the word 'benefit' is thrown around a lot," Pridgen said. "'Will you play this benefit?' means 'I'm not gonna pay you.' As you go on, the less benefits you have to do."
As he advanced in his career playing weddings and fraternity parties, Pridgen began to make a name for himself in the community.
"Trace is very popular and has a big following," said Lisa Ditchkoff, owner of the Opelika Event Center. "A lot of people book him for their parties."
Pridgen performs Saturday, Feb. 15, at the Event Center's Winter Brewfest at 7 p.m.
At the event, Pridgen will perform with his usual band, but with a band comprised of locals Josh McKenzie, Cory Spicer and Jimmy Green.
Pridgen and the band perform at venues, such as Niffer's, and private parties. When Pridgen travels to Birmingham or Atlanta, he has a chance to perform original songs.
Pridgen dedicated his time to his first EP. Pridgen said he believes it will be produced and released on iTunes during the summer. The EP will feature three original songs and two covers.
As for a favorite song, Pridgen said "not Wagon Wheel." According to Pridgen, the band usually plays "weird" versions of older songs, such as a bluesy rendition of "Superstitious" by Stevie Wonder and a unique performance of "Come Together" by The Beatles.
"The Auburn area likes country music and are not too kind to original songs," Pridgen said. "Honestly, no one gives a crap about originals, so we stick to covers to make the crowd happy."
Pridgen said his favorite part of performing would be the immediate response of a song. Pridgen said playing a song that has been in the works for a while and seeing people dancing and singing along to the music matters more than standing on the stage and singing.
"I've known Trace for years," said Amanda Enloe, senior in English. "He's just a cool and 'real' guy."
In the upcoming months, Pridgen said he plans to perform at the Auburn Color Run, sponsored by Four Corner's Ministries at the end of March, and at a venue in Augusta, Ga.

Share and discuss “Musician on the rise, Trace Pridgen, gaining fame with "weird" covers” on social media.