Plans for the future of Auburn City Schools discussed at public forum

Ogletree Elementary School was full of Auburn residents and parents, Tuesday night, for an Auburn City Schools forum, where the future plans of the city's school system were discussed.
Auburn City Schools Superintendent, Dr. Karen DeLano, prefaced the plan outline and data presentation.
More than 500 residents attended Monday night's forum, and with the Tuesday night attendees, a collective input will be submitted.
"Your input that you share with us tonight is critical," DeLano said. 'It affects the decisions we make for children over the next 20 years."
The Board of Education members, Mayor Bill Ham, and multiple members of the Auburn City Council attended to show their support. The newly formed city planning committee helped with the meeting.
Questionnaires and plans were passed out among tables, where those in attendance could talk with one another and discuss the plans as they filled out their forms.
Tracy Richter, CEO of DEJONG-RICHTER, laid out the multifaceted plan for future schools in Auburn. Richter, a past middle school teacher, said he understood the importance of the children's education, as well as their learning facilities. He said he believed change is important and necessary when dealing with education and schools.
Richter showed slides detailing the growth of Auburn students over the years. In 2006, Auburn City Schools had a total of 5,465 children enrolled, and one kindergarten. Less than 10 years later, Auburn is projected to have 7,767 students in 2015, with now four kindergarten through second grade.
"We want to know how big of a comfort level this city has for big schools," Richter said. "We want to hear your opinions and offer options, not recommendations."
Scott Besong, a resident of Auburn and an attendee of the forum, walked out shortly after the questionnaires circulated the room.
"I thought they were actually going to talk about finances tonight," Besong said. "Not just show some plans."
Many citizens wished to remain anonymous, but voiced their opinions on the new school options.
Options three and four seemed the most popular. Three proposes replacing Auburn High School on a new Samford site, with as 2,400 capacity. Converting Auburn High School to 8-9 junior high school. Converting Drake and Auburn Jr. High into 6-7 middle schools and adding a new 600 capacity elementary school. They also plan to add 800 seats to Auburn High and 400 to the junior high. They plan costs $139,875,000.
The fourth plan adds a new elementary school that will hold 1,200, a new technology and career center, converting Drake and Auburn Jr. High to 7-8 junior high schools, a new 9th grade center, a new elementary school and renovations of Auburn High.
Many said that the new plans are infringing on tradition. One woman who has lived in Auburn all her life, said it would create a rivalry among schools and Auburn would not even be Auburn anymore.
"I grew up in Chicago and saw multiple school systems in the same town," Sherri Downey said. "It creates gangs and violence and Auburn would be torn apart."
Downey said she believed that making residents decide on the spot would illicit emotional answers, and not what they really wanted.
Most citizens wavered between the four plans, and Richter said the city would study the responses carefully. \0x200B

Share and discuss “Plans for the future of Auburn City Schools discussed at public forum” on social media.