A male perspective on style

Telvin Florence hangs out in Wake Up Coffee Company

Three of Auburn’s most fashion-savvy gentlemen shared their distinct style, tips and tricks with The Plainsman.

1. Find Your Signature Style:
“Your clothes define you at first glance,” said Alex Lazzari, senior in fine arts. Lazzari has gauges and an inclination toward laid-back, West Coast fashion.
“I get called hipster and artsy a lot because I’m hip and I understand what’s modern, trending and fashionable because I’m an artist,” Lazzari said.
An internship with Alexander Wang in New York City honed fashion design grad Telvin Florence’s cosmopolitan punk look.
“It’s so deeply ingrained in people to conform,” Florence, who is unabashed about his love for the color black and clean lines in design, said.

2. Fit is Everything:
Charlie Scott, senior industrial design, has learned that fit is crucial. He said he buys most of his wardrobe online at Gap and Urban Outfitters for his 6’5” frame.
“I went through some awkward periods in high school,” Scott said. “I guess that’s pretty typical.”
Scott navigated the world of style and discovered a love for modern European fashion: tailored jackets and slim-fitting pants.
For Lazzari, a slimmer cut is all about showing off the human form and is another way of revealing who you are. He suggested choosing pieces that fit closer to the body and aren’t so baggy and loose.

3. Footwear for Dummies:
It’s all about boots, guys.
Florence, Lazzari and Scott gravitate toward boots of every variety. Whether they are Timberlands, moto boots or dressier lace-up boots, this acceptable trend takes a pair of jeans to the next level. Find the right pair, and you have comfort and quality for years.

4. Find Your Style Icons:
“Use James Dean as a template,” Florence said. Noting Dean’s effortless cool factor, Florence suggested implementing black jeans or a leather jacket. Other influences for Florence include Lenny Kravitz, Kurt Cobain and Pharrell Williams.
Lazzari said he uses Instagram to follow models Luke Ditella and Joel Alexander, both of whom sport beards and piercings.
Observing menswear on a trip to France inspired Scott to keep up with fashion and urban design.

5. Budget-Friendly Shopping:
Smart shopping is a must on a college budget.
For Florence, this means shopping online at reasonably-priced retailers, such as Zara, Oak, ASOS and H&M. Lazzari’s closet is comprised of thrift store finds plus outfits from Target, TJ-Maxx and Ross.
Scott’s philosophy is all about quality over quantity.
“My take on it is [that] I’m going to buy selective things, and they may cost a little extra, but I’ll be happy with them, and I’ll feel confident in myself, but I may not have as many clothes,” Scott said.

6. Staple Pieces Every Guy Should Own:
Levi’s are huge right now, according to Scott and Lazzari. Scott’s said his favorite jeans are Levi’s 511 or 510.
Florence is a motorcycle jacket advocate, while Scott leans more toward a classic pea coat. Lazzari said some of his favorite pieces are flannel shirts and solid t-shirts.

7. Remember: Style Always Beats Trendy:
“Trends are very sporadic,” Florence said. “They don’t last long at all. There’s nothing substantial about them. Whereas style is you. It’s your individual take on who you are as a person.”
Invest in classic pieces that fit well to highlight your individuality and to reinvent into different outfits.

Share and discuss “A male perspective on style” on social media.