OPINION: The thinspiration for having a thigh-gap

Let me preface this by saying I have nothing against supermodels or celebrities. I watch the Victoria's Secret fashion show and applaud their beauty and superbly toned bodies like any other 21-year-old college girl.
I don't even have a problem with models. They work to have those bodacious bods and more power to them. I congratulate their genes and the blessings nature gave them.
I used to go on Pinterest every single day beginning my freshman year at Auburn. I'm in a sorority, and it was something I was introduced to.
I didn't see anything wrong with the girls wearing the clothes that fit just perfectly, and I didn't even notice that they didn't have a single line, wrinkle or dimple on their impeccably tanned skin.
The cute clothes and fabulous eyeshadow tutorials blinded me.
Now, whenever I log into Pinterest, or shop online, something tugs at me.
I don't get as excited as I used to because all I see are "thinspirations," tiny meal recipes and women who are skinnier than the average middle schooler.
It's sad that my generation's perception of beauty has now come to desire a thigh-gap, and the definition of 'eating healthy' is barely eating at all.
I personally want to throttle the woman who thought to herself, "Hey, let me make myself so skinny that when I stand up I look like a prepubescent 12 year old."
That's not beautiful, and it's not hot. It's sad and unhealthy.
It's unnatural to see your bones, but it's now become a sense of pride in young women to see how long they can go without eating. I can't count how many times I go around campus and hear a girl complaining about her weight only to see that she's already tiny.
Girls are starting to try and mold themselves into who they see modeling online or in magazines. Some girls don't even have the body to be stick-and-bones, and they feel like a failure when they can't achieve it. It's all about looking like a tan Skeletor.
Even online brands are adding fuel to an already raging fire.
Recently, websites such as Target and Old Navy have gone under attack for photo shopping thigh gaps onto online models.
The worst was Target and the bathing suit. It was so noticeable and shows how big of an impact this bad fashion trend has.
I'm a huge supporter of campaigns that tell girls that "zero is not a size," or refuse to Photoshop and airbrush their models.
That's huge, and it makes a statement.
Maybe if girls saw actual models or celebrities without the Photoshop and airbrushing, then they wouldn't be so hard on themselves.
When I go on Pinterest now, it's hard for me not to feel the hit to my ego.
Then, I remember that I'm in college. I can't go run at the Recreation Center every single day for hours. I will eat my occasional McDonald's meal because I don't have time to cook for myself every day, and I have a rigorous class schedule.
So, Auburn women, don't be so hard on yourselves.
Step away from the Pinterest-palooza, put a bikini on and drink a margarita by the pool.
Don't let thinspirations and thigh gaps get you down, and if you make it to the Rec Center this week, maybe I'll see you there.
Maybe.

Share and discuss “OPINION: The thinspiration for having a thigh-gap” on social media.