Student-directed play Venus in Fur explores S&M themes

(Emily Enfinger / Assistant Photo Editor)

"Venus in Fur" is a bold choice for a student director. The play wrestles with the complex power struggle between the sexes. It challenges the audience with sadomasochistic themes and strong language.
"It's a sexy, scary, thrilling game of cat and mouse, where you never know who's calling the shots," said Keary Watts, director and senior in history.
In the 90-minute, two-person play, Thomas is in the process of casting a show based on the novel "Venus in Furs" by Leopold von Sacher-Masoch when he meets Vanda, an unforgettable beauty who is gunning for the lead role. Vanda defies Thomas's intellectual pride and physical boundaries while vying for her dream role.
Watts, a member of Auburn's Mosaic Theatre Company, has also directed productions of Suzan-Lori Parks's "F***ing A-" and Marie Jones's "Stones in his Pockets." He said he wants audiences to focus on the message of the "Venus in Fur" rather than the S&M implications.
"I want people to think about their apathy," Watts said. "People tend to be mired in their apathy. [The play] forces you to confront what you find funny, or what you find sexy or kinky, or what turns you on and it really makes you confront how you treat other people as well."
Theater faculty advisers supported Watts's choice in material, despite its complicated subject. Watts said rehearsal began with research and cast discussions on how imagery is used in the media to portray power.
The actors cast as Thomas and Vanda spent two months preparing for their roles.
"We did a lot of personal work with each other before we could really delve into more than that," said Chelsea Allen, senior in business management and theatre, who plays Vanda. "I don't think two strangers could do this play."
Allen and her co-star Michael Sanders, freshman in theatre, said they were able to define their characters in the midst of the suggestive content throughout the play.
"I'm more willing to kind of listen, where Thomas is very aware that he is a very smart person and that can be a dangerous thing," Sanders said.
"Vanda stands up for women in a way," said Allen. "She does all these things to make him realize and to change him from this chauvinistic guy."
Allen explained that the discomfort some audience members may feel was an important feature to the performance.
"I think it's important for them to feel uncomfortable at some points," Allen said. "I want them to find the comedic aspects in it but also the serious aspects. I feel like they need that so they can grow just like Thomas does."

For Watts, theater is about creating dialogue.
"Trying to use performance as a way of thinking about things that maybe aren't as accessible as reading an academic article or a book because that's not for everyone, but I feel this is rather accessible," Watts said.
Opening night has been sold out for a week, but performances of "Venus in Fur" will continue in the Theatre Upstairs at Telfair Peet Theatre Friday through Saturday at 7:30 p.m., with matinees Saturday and Sunday at 2:30 p.m.
Tickets are free and may be reserved by emailing venusinfurau@gmail.com with your name and the number of seats required.

Share and discuss “Student-directed play Venus in Fur explores S&M themes” on social media.