Auburn City Council addresses the safety of railroad conditions

Questions about the safety of several railroad crossings were brought to attention at the Auburn City Council meeting on April 15, five days after a train and 18 wheeler collision.
The railroad crossings in question were worked on by the CSX Corporation in March. Councilman Arthur Dowdell raised the concerns.
"We have been in close contact with CSX," City Manager Charles Duggan said. "Actually, they are coming back to work on those crossings. I believe two trucks have been hit by trains thus far, and several of them have gotten stuck."
Auburn has notified local industries to inform truckers about railroad crossings that may be difficult to cross, and warning signs have been put in place. Duggan stated that he is not aware of any legal actions taken against the city or CSX.
The City Council also took further action in the Downtown Parking Phase 2A Project. The College Street and Magnolia Avenue alleyways were given to the city by Lipscomb Investment Company, Ltd. for the project.
Auburn intends to work on the project during the summer, and have it completed before football season begins in the fall, according to Duggan.
The original proposal for the project covered the parking area between the parking deck and the buildings that front college street. Currently, the project managers are concentrating on improving the alleyways.
The city was required to scale back because funds were needed to address the over-population of the city schools.
"I hope that sometime this spring, before June, we'll have proposals before the council and the school board for future building and future funding for the school system," Duggan said.

In other council news:

Approved a taxpayer waiver request by AirCon Mechanical, LLC for $1,415.
Approved to remit taxes for H/S Interests, Inc. for a maximum of $250,000 over a maximum period of 10 years in accordance with the Commercial Development Incentive Program. The company will be renovating and expanding Old Towne Station shopping center at 1345 Opelika Road to house retail stores and restaurants.
Annexed 11.5 acres located at 2295 Longwood Drive.
Approved renovations to Goo Goo Car Wash on 1672 South College St. The location will transition from a self-wash to an automatic car wash.

Share and discuss “Auburn City Council addresses the safety of railroad conditions” on social media.