Storybrook Farms helps disabled children in fairytale setting

Down a few winding back roads in Opelika, Storybook Farms sits nestled between large green trees and rolling plains of grass.
It's not unusual to see a real life Dr. Watson, Captain Hook or Tom Sawyer roaming around together through the fields.
Walking into the farm is just like walking into a storybook or your favorite fairy tail.
The main house looks like it came straight out of Snow White and the koi fish swimming lazily in a pond look like something out of Alice in Wonderland's dream.
At Storybook Farms, horses like the friendly, and child favorite, Dr. Watson spend their days helping children's fairy tale dreams come true.
Every horse at the farm has a name that comes from a fairy tale or well-known book.
The workers at the farm are comprised of volunteers and interns, such as Stephanie Houpy, that help operate the non-profit, faith-based organization.
"Since being here in January, I have learned so much about myself and being able to work with kids that are facing life challenges on a day to day basis," Houpy said. "You appreciate what you have in life."
The volunteers and horses work with children who are facing life challenges and problems and help them overcome it.
The 17 horses and volunteers provide a calm, relaxing, trusting environment for children that need it.
Most of the horses, like 22-year-old Dr. Watson, are older and have a gentle and patient disposition that works well with the children, many who come from local schools.
The horses help children with disabilities and other challenges become confident and learn new tasks.
"Dr. Watson has about 10 riders per week and he's been here for about 12 years," Allie McDonald, community relations director, said. "He helps them go through challenges that many of us are fortunate to be able to avoid."
Other small animals, such as big, fluffy dogs and lazy, snoozing cats call the farm home.
"We have a lot of little creatures roaming around the farm," Houpy said. "The kids really love them."
Horses at the farm bond with each other, as well.
"Dr. Watson's best friends are Sherlock Holmes and Captain Hook," McDonald said. "They have a lot of fun out in our arena, playing games and providing friendship for the many children that need their services."
At the farm, volunteers are always welcome to help around the barn and help with the children and families that come in seeking help from the horses.
Children who visit are paired with a horse and a volunteer, fitted with a helmet and led around the arena. The children are able to interact with animals and spend a few hours outside getting exercise.
Their pictures adorn the walls of the barn with their names taped underneath, a reminder to the people and horses about why they are there.
While Storybook Farm is reminiscent of an enchanting fairy tale, the horses and volunteers spend their days with real children working toward a real goal.
The farm gives local children and its volunteers a chance to step inside a fairy tale whenever they need to.

Share and discuss “Storybrook Farms helps disabled children in fairytale setting” on social media.