Students seize interesting internship opportunities

When most students are searching for an internship, they come to find there are many opportunities available. While some like to stay within the area, there are those who look to travel and intern for big-name companies.
Allie Mullen, junior in marketing, applied for an internship in the interactive marketing department with Paramount Pictures in Los Angeles. While still in the interview process, Mullen said she is learning that the position will consist of promoting movies through different websites.
"It's a little different than what I've done before," Mullen said. "I know I want to be in a big city when I graduate, and I love LA. This would be a new experience for me, so I'm excited to see if it's something I want to do."
Many students find the process to be tedious and difficult when applying for competitive internships in big cities. Jared Nash, junior in turf grass science and management, found his paid internship through the Sports Turf Management Association's website.
Nash said anyone in his field can become a member of the website. They can easily scroll through internship listings of major league teams and decide which ones they want to send their resumes to.
"I applied for the Atlanta Braves, the Milwaukee Brewers, the Sandiego Padres and the Washington Nationals," Nash said. "I heard back from all of them and decided to take Washington."
Nash said the best way for people to get results when applying for these internships is to get good experience, apply to as many places as possible and don't let something pass you by even if it seems out of reach.
"I'm looking forward to being in a different city, like a fast-paced setting where I can be able to work almost everyday," Nash said. "This is what I would like to do with my job, so I'll be looking forward to doing this for the rest of my life."
Interning for big-name companies have helped graduates land their jobs after college. Auburn graduate Cynthia Crandell, who now has a job at Fox Station Sales in Atlanta, said her internship with the Rachael Ray Show allowed her to make connections and get good references when she was applying for her job.
"I was a production intern for the Rachael Ray Show in New York City, and I worked in a bunch of different departments," Crandell said. "If someone gets an internship like mine at a competitive place, I would say that one of the most important things is to get to know everyone's names in the company. If you don't know who they are, then they aren't going to know who you are. Just be dedicated and focused the whole time."
Crandell said she learned a lot and enjoyed her experience, especially in the talent department because she got to greet and escort celebrities when they were guests on the show. Her favorite person to meet was Julie Andrews
Crandell also said her past experiences in college and involvement in Eagle Eye TV and UPC made it possible for her to get chosen to be an intern for the show. She said she would encourage others who are interested in internships such as hers to do the same and build their resume.

Share and discuss “Students seize interesting internship opportunities” on social media.