The Battle of Running Back U: Two seniors, a former scout team star and a 5-star recruit fight to be No. 1

Peyton Barber (Contributed by Lauren Barnard)

As spring rolls onto the Plains, the Auburn football team has been left with a dilemma.
Who will replace Tre Mason?
After Mason declared for the NFL Draft, the conversation began as to who would be the Tigers No. 1 for next season. The competition will be fierce, with the Tigers returning four running backs, three with experience from last year.
Senior Cameron Artis-Payne joined the Tigers before last season as the No. 1 JUCO back in the nation. Artis-Payne saw the majority of last season's action in the first several games, before Mason was named the starter, and was able to accumulate 610 yards and 6 touchdowns on 91 carries. Artis-Payne is seen by many as the favorite for the starting job, given his experience and ability to run through the tackles.
Artis-Payne won last year's A-Day MVP award and said he hopes to do the same this year. Offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee has high praises for Artis-Payne.
"(Artis-Payne) practices like a pro," Lashlee said. "He doesn't have bad days. He's always attentive. He's always trying to get better."
While Artis-Payne has the lead in experience on his fellow Auburn backs, the competition will be fierce, and he said he believes that the battle is a good thing.
"You've got a bunch of a good running backs in a room, and everybody's trying to push each other," Artis-Payne said. "Everybody wants to be the guy to step up and be the lead back. It's a healthy competition. We all feed off of it."
Senior Corey Grant also saw a decent amount of playing time in 2013 at the speed-back role. On 66 carries, Grant accumulated 647 yards and 6 touchdowns. While Grant will most likely not take the starting role, he will almost assuredly be an integral part in Auburn's run game and is happy with his role as the speed back.
"It's kind of to my advantage," Grant said. "My speed is a little bit more of me than power, but I accept that role and like that role."
While Grant is largely known for his speed, the team knows him for his strength. Head coach Gus Malzahn is impressed with what Grant has done in his tenure on the plains.
"He's very physical," Malzahn said. "He's one of our stronger guys in the weight room, and he's a veteran guy, too."
Sophomore offensive lineman Alex Kozan is also impressed with Grant, calling him a "freak athlete."
"Pound for pound, I'd say he's probably the strongest guy on our team," Kozan said. "A lot of those speed guys, they're not really tough, but Corey's one of the toughest."
Sophomore Johnathan Ford moved to cornerback last year to help with the secondary's depth issues, but Ford is also probably in the mix for the running back race.
Last year, Ford was able to get in against Western Carolina, having a breakout game and running the ball six times for 73 yards and a touchdown.
Peyton Barber, who redshirted last year, has also generated a lot of buzz with his work ethic in the past year. Barber even got some pretty serious accolades from Tre Mason.
"[Barber] is probably, skill wise, the best out of all of us," Mason said. "That guy is good. He's very consistent when he's scrimmaging."
Barber originally committed to Ole Miss, but was persuaded by high school teammate and Auburn defensive star Carl Lawson to flip to Auburn.
While redshirting last year, Barber was able to gain valuable experience using the year to improve.
Tight end C.J. Uzomah has high hopes for Barber.
"I've been hearing from some of the defense that Peyton is untouchable," Uzomah said. "Going against our first team all last year helps him tremendously as a running back."
While the stable of backs returning is already strong, the Tigers will bolster their strength with the addition of Racean "Roc" Thomas and Kamryn Pettway.
Thomas, out of Oxford High School, was a five-star prospect who put up crazy numbers in his senior year of high school ball, running the ball 226 times for 2,211 yards and 32 touchdowns.
Thomas brings elusiveness and power, and will have the chance to compete immediately for this next season's running back job.
Thomas was named to the 2014 U.S. Army All-American Bowl and to the 2014 Under Armour All-American game. Thomas was also named the 2013 Alabama Player of the Year and was second-team All-USA by USA Today in 2013.
The Tigers signed long-time commitment Kamryn Pettway out of nearby Prattville High School. Pettway has clocked a 4.46 40-yard dash time, and was listed as a three-star recruit, running the ball 169 times for 1,402 yards and 17 touchdowns in his senior season with Prattville.
Artis-Payne, Grant, Barber and Thomas -- the battle to be the best back at Auburn is just getting started.

Share and discuss “The Battle of Running Back U: Two seniors, a former scout team star and a 5-star recruit fight to be No. 1” on social media.