Graduation: A new chapter

Defensive lineman LaDarius Owens, No.10, is handed his degree by Jay Gogue. \0x200B(Raye May | Photo Editor)

Architect and retired Air Force Col. Don Brown spoke on Saturday at both ceremonies, and Sunday Navy nursing Cmdr. Michele Kane spoke.
They spoke to approximately 3,670 Auburn graduates.
This weekend, Auburn awarded 566 master's degrees, 93 doctoral degrees, six educational specialist degrees and 2,768 bachelor's degrees.
This weekend, there were 124 agriculture graduates, 159 architecture, design and construction, 506 in business, 248 in education, 426 in engineering , 44 in forestry and wildlife science, 134 in human sciences, 607 in liberal arts, 64 in nursing, 21 in interdisciplinary studies and 435 in sciences and mathematics.
A name called. A handshake. A tassel turned and a cap thrown into the air.
After four, or maybe a couple more, years at Auburn, these four simple things signify a new beginning and leaving a home behind.
Auburn University's graduation weekend meant an influx of families into town, crowds milling around Samford Hall snapping pictures and hundreds of graduating seniors walking across the arena for their hard earned degrees.
Saturday, May 3, kicked off the graduation ceremonies.
Early that morning, each senior vied to get a coveted picture in front of the sign.
On Saturday, May 3, two ceremonies were held in the Auburn Arena.
At 10 a.m., architecture, design and construction, education, human sciences and graduate students in those colleges graduated.
At 2 p.m., students in agriculture, business, interdisciplinary studies and graduate students in those colleges received their diplomas.
Alex Turner, graduating with a degree in speech pathology, will be returning for two more years as a student at Auburn's speech pathology graduate school.
"To me, Auburn is my home," Turner said. "I've learned so much about myself, met the best friends I didn't know I was missing out on for 18 years, found a major and future career I am passionate about and have fallen in love with Auburn family traditions."
On Sunday, May 4, at 1 p.m., students in engineering, sciences and mathematics and graduate students in those colleges graduated.
At 5 p.m. the seniors in forestry and wildlife sciences, liberal arts, nursing and graduate students in those colleges received their diplomas.
Laurel Looney, senior in nursing, said graduation is bittersweet.
Looney spent the weekend watching all of her friends graduate, while she will receive her diploma in August.
"Auburn means so much to me," Looney said. "It helped shape me into the woman I am today and gave me friendships that will last a lifetime, a wonderful education and a place that I will always call home."
While she only has a short time left at Auburn, Looney said she already plans on moving back to Dallas, Texas and working in a Neonatal ICU in the area.
Greg Asbill, graduate with a degree in chemical engineering, said he already has a job situated in Atlanta.
"I just graduated, so now I'm about to pack up my car and drive straight to Atlanta and start working next week," Asbill said. "It's been a great ride here."
The graduating class of 2014 has seen their fair share of Auburn memories.
From the "Camback" and National Championship victory their freshman year, to the Toomer's Oaks final season, to almost witnessing a second Starbucks on campus and a successful basketball season, the memories are full and plenty.
Auburn men and women, even when they graduate, will never forget where they came from and where they can always call home.
"I truly believe in Auburn and love it," Turner said.

Share and discuss “Graduation: A new chapter” on social media.