Aviation center to promote hands-on experience and industry interactions

Jared Lockhart (left) and Kevan (Will) Leveille (right) are commercial students in the program and committee members of the War Eagle Flying Team. (Contributed by Camille Barkley)

Auburn University recently welcomed the creation of an aviation center on campus. The Auburn University Aviation Center, as of July 1, also houses the University's flight school.
Bill Hutto, Auburn University Airport Director, will be the director of the aviation center.
According to Hutto, one goal of the center is to involve aviation students and faculty in aviation-related research throughout campus.
Hutto mentioned potential collaborations with the College of Engineering's aerospace program, the School of Kinesiology and the College of Agriculture's recent work with unmanned area vehicles.
The center will work with industries and government to bring more economic development ideas to Alabama regarding aviation and aerospace.
The aviation center will participate in Accelerate Alabama and receive funding from the state for their participation.
Accelerate Alabama focuses on three issues: renewal of innovation and research, recruitment of industry to Alabama and retention of industry in the state. Aviation at Auburn will assist with aviation projects in those three areas.
Joe Hanna, associate dean of research and outreach in the Harbert College of Business and interim director of aviation programs, calls the aviation center "a significant and positive development" for students interested in aviation and aerospace industries.
Hanna mentioned with several high-profile companies like Boeing and Airbus coming to Alabama, Auburn will be able to "build productive relationships with key industry participants."
Through hands-on experience and interactions with aviation industry leaders, graduates of the two aviation degrees at Auburn - aviation management and professional flight management - will be more marketable to potential employers, according to Hutto.
Approval of the architectural process for the new aviation center is being sought from the Board of Trustees, and the Board hopes to secure the funding for the project soon.
Currently, the base of operations for the center will be out of the airport and the new terminal there. According to Hutto, Timothy Boosinger, provost and vice president for academic affairs at Auburn, led the plans to form the aviation center.
Auburn has taught aviation management since the 1930s, has owned the Auburn University Regional Airport since 1939 and has a "long and storied tradition," according to Hutto.
Last fall, the aviation program was in danger of losing accreditation from the Aviation Accreditation Board International because the aviation program did not have enough faculty members to teach its students. However, the program was reaccredited this past spring.
Bryan Kingston, senior in professional flight management and president of the War Eagle Flying Team, believes the new aviation center shows growth and leadership in the aviation program, which contrasts the previous year's problems.
Kingston also said there is a lot of excitement within the aviation student body.
"Everybody wants to know what's going on, and everyone wants to help out," Kingston said.
Kingston and Hutto agree the new center should help recruitment and enrollment in aviation. Both aviation programs have approximately 45 students enrolled, not including students yet to declare - a decision made during junior year.
Hutto is pleased to see a renewed focus and awareness in aviation at Auburn.
"I think this renewed focus is really going to take us back to our roots at Auburn and help us to move forward."

Share and discuss “Aviation center to promote hands-on experience and industry interactions” on social media.