Democrat Parker Griffith runs for governor on revolution platform

(Contributed by Bronwen Murray)
(Contributed by Bronwen Murray)

Parker Griffith is no stranger to the political spectrum. He served as an Alabama State Senator from 2006-2008 and as a U.S. Representative for Alabama's fifth congressional district from 2009-2011.
He is now running for Governor of Alabama as a Democrat.
Born in Shreveport, Louisiana, Griffith moved to Huntsville after a "cold call."
"Cold calls are basically recruitment calls asking you to come out and look at a job," Griffith said. "You don't know them and they don't know much about you, but I was on my way to look at Emory in Atlanta so I stopped on by."
Griffith had to look on a map to see where Huntsville was, but soon moved there in 1975. He worked as a radiation oncologist.
While working as an oncologist, Griffith ran into many people who were terminally ill and lacked medical coverage.
"The whole idea of healthcare is to see patients as early as they can, no matter what it is," Griffith said. "The better we do, the better we can detect the illnesses in these people and can help manage and cure their diseases."
Griffith began to hone in on public policies as it pertained to healthcare. Griffith was in congress and had ring side seats during the Affordable Care Act debates, seeing the "ins and outs" of an extremely controversial and polarizing issue.
After that, Griffith decided to run for governor.
"I saw what was happening in Alabama," Griffith said. "We were falling under the influence of the Right Wing Tea Party and being controlled by out-of-state billionaires. The supermajority of the Senate and House, as well as the governor, were controlled by one party. There was no chance to debate or see how things were being covered."
Griffith remarked that debates were completely cut off and bills were passed in virtual secrecy. He said Alabama was ranked 49th in job creation and was the second unhealthiest state in the nation. That is when he decided his three-step plan and focus. He said it was time for a revolution.
First, Griffith wants to expand on Medicaid.
"Every year that we don't expand Medicaid, we're losing hundreds of Alabamians," Griffith said. "Small, rural hospitals are closing and towns are unable to attract families. We're putting hospitals and people in jeopardy."
Second, Griffith wants to create a lottery for education.
"We are going to have a lottery for education," he said. "We are now crossing the borders into other states for lottery tickets and our money is funding the education of those students instead of ours."
Griffith plans to earmark the funds generated by the lottery for education.
Third, Griffith wants to focus on job creation.
"I plan to expand existing businesses and provide jobs that young people coming out of college can have a job so they can stay in Alabama, he said."
Griffith said young people are the future and are more influenced by the issues, rather than a political party label. He said Alabama is moving in the wrong direction and needs a change.
He is not worried about running as a democrat in a state so dominated by republican supporters.
"I think the people and issues are more important than a party label," Griffith said. "I have congressional experience, senator experience, I'm an experienced physician and know about the business world."
Griffith will be running against Republican incumbent, and fellow physician, Robert Bentley.
"He [Bentley] has failed to create jobs, failed to expand and we are the only state with a rising unemployment rate," Griffith said. "Our Speaker of the House, Mike Hubbard is under investigation and we know that Alabama can do much better than this, we have done much better than this."
The 2014 Alabama gubernatorial election will take place on November 4.

Share and discuss “Democrat Parker Griffith runs for governor on revolution platform” on social media.