Fans, former players raise money at FCA-Lutzenkirchen Golf Event

Philip Lutzenkirchen Lassiter High School jersey sits on display at the memorial ceremony on July 2, 2014.

The outpouring of love and respect for Philip Lutzenkirchen continued on Thursday morning at the Auburn University Golf Club.
Former players, friends and family came out to play in the Fellowship of Christian Athletes-Philip Lutzenkirchen Golf Event and help raise money for the Auburn University FCA Chapter.
"Mack Van Gorder told me about the outing," said Trent Fisher, former Auburn football player. "I came to celebrate Lutz and be with the family and love on them."
Lutzenkirchen's parents, Mike and Mary Lutzenkirchen, were joined by their three daughters Amy, Ann and Abby -- all wearing the familiar orange and blue that Philip wore during his playing days at Auburn.
Will Herring, who helped put the event together, spoke of Lutzenkirchen's involvement with the FCA.
"Phil was a big part of what we [FCA] were doing on campus," said Herring. "He impacted so many people."
Kim Evans, head coach of the Auburn women's golf team, stated that the day was also for the Lutzenkirchen family.
"It gives them a chance to hug necks, say thank you and feel the support and love," Evans said.
Evans was also encouraged by the turnout.
"We were hoping for 60 golfers and we have about 60-70," said Evans, noting that the event had only been planned for a week.
The Auburn University FCA will also host a 50th anniversary celebration tonight at the Auburn University Arena at 6 p.m.
Guests will included Coach Gus Malzahn and Rev. Chette Williams, the football team chaplain.
Mike Lutzenkirchen, Philip's father, will emcee the event. Philip was originally scheduled to be the emcee before his death last month.
Lutzenkirchen, speaking before the golfers teed off, talked about his family.
"This is another hurdle our family is going through," Lutzenkirchen said. "This turnout is amazing."

Share and discuss “Fans, former players raise money at FCA-Lutzenkirchen Golf Event” on social media.