Pearl announces charity golf tournament to benefit Children's Harbor

Head basketball coach Bruce Pearl greets former players, coaches and their families at the entrance of the Letterman Reunion.

Raye May / PHOTO & DESIGN EDITOR
Head basketball coach Bruce Pearl greets former players, coaches and their families at the entrance of the Letterman Reunion. Raye May / PHOTO & DESIGN EDITOR

Coach Bruce Pearl announced his partnership with the "Fore the Children" Golf Tournament that will take place on Oct. 27 at Willow Point Golf and Country Club in Alexander City.
The tournament will benefit Children's Harbor, an organization that provides children with serious illnesses and their families a place to have fun and relax.
"The press conference is about awareness, to help provide 5,000 kids and their families to get out on Lake Martin and a week of family vacation," Pearl said.
Myrle Grate, chief operating officer at Children's Harbor, spoke of the partnership with Pearl.
"We really want to thank Coach Pearl for his generosity," Grate said. "This gives a chance for the children to get away and be children again."
Pearl spoke of how a phone call with Phyllis McCrary, wife of former Alabama Power CEO Charles McCrary, helped lead him to this cause.
"When Phyllis talked to me about her passion for Children's Harbor, that tied it all together for us," Pearl said.
The golf tournament will become an annual event, with Pearl emphasizing the children will always be a part of the event.
Pearl also spent time answer questions about the upcoming season, especially the tough non-conference schedule.
"There is no better way to give our players confidence from our coaching staff than to set up a challenging schedule," Pearl said.
An exhibition game will also be played before the season, with it being held at Auburn Arena on Nov. 7, the night before the home football game against Texas A&M.
"I would like to sell that game out," Pearl said.

Share and discuss “Pearl announces charity golf tournament to benefit Children's Harbor” on social media.