Remember the Tiger

A memorial and educational program was held to commemorate War Eagle VI, Tiger today at 5 p.m. in Plainsman Park. Auburn fans dressed in orange and blue filled the park to commemorate Tiger, War Eagle VI.
Tiger passed away June 18, 2014 at the age of 34. This makes her among one go the oldest eagles to be under the care of humans. Tiger was the first eagle to fly free at Jordan-Hare stadium on Aug. 31, 2000.
Speakers included Auburn Athletics Director, Jay Jacobs; Auburn College of Veterinary Medicine, Calvin Johnson and Marianne Hudson, assistant director of raptor training and education at the Southeastern Raptor Center.
Jacobs spoke about the memories that Tiger provided to so many, and how furthered this Auburn tradition.
"Tiger flew her first flight in 2000 and since then, this tradition has been second to none," said Jacobs. "Even though tiger has flown her last flight, her memory will be lived on forever and ever."
A memorial video highlighted Tiger's time at Auburn featuring clips of her first flight and for her appearance at the 2002 Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City.
Dean of Medicine, Calvin Johnson shared how he believed Tiger made an imprint on this University.
"Tiger was the grand last of the skies over Jordan-Hare stadium," Johnson said. "She truly did have the spirit that was not afraid."
After the memorial, the Southeastern Raptor Center, who care for all of Auburn's eagles, put on a program to educate about eagles and other raptors.
"Because of [Tiger] thousands of students of all ages were drawn to learn more about, respect and admire eagles and the entirety of the natural world," said Hudson. "Her long lifetime meant she taught many generations of not just Auburn fans, but students all over the south east."
The program featured owls, hawks, falcon and Auburn's own eagles Spirit and Nova.
Every Friday at 4 p.m before home games, the Southeastern raptor center presents Football Fans and Feathers to educate the public about the importance of these birds.

Share and discuss “Remember the Tiger” on social media.