Forest Ecology Preserve brings local musician for Songs in the Woods

Dave Potts will be playing Sunday, Sept. 14, from 4 - 6 p.m. (Contributed by Meg Rainey)

In the middle of the forest, folk music plays as you are surrounded by nature-happy people. Children play and the setting seems to resemble one from a fairy tale.
Songs in the Woods is an outdoor concert held at Auburn University's Forest Ecology Preserve and Nature Center that brings together music and nature.
The performer this year is the Dave Potts Band.
Potts has lived in Auburn for 15 years. Before living in Auburn, he performed for five years as a touring musician.
"It's folk with a little bit of country," Potts said. "It's definitely very family-friendly. I play a lot of original music, but I'll also play some country and folk songs that are familiar to people."
Meg Rainey, public relations specialist for the City of Auburn Parks and Recreation office, said she believes Potts' sound will be enhanced at the Preserve.
"It's a really good fit with the venue," Rainey said. "It's a natural, laid back setting. Dave's sound pairs very well with the setting. It's just the perfect setting for his music and an afternoon performance."
This is the second time the City of Auburn and the preserve have paired together for the Songs in the Woods concert.
In 2012, Auburn entered into an agreement with the preserve to match funds of up to $50,000 in donations made to the facility.
"This partnership offers the City of Auburn a unique opportunity to expand its programming and offerings to the public via this existing facility," Rainey said. "It's a win-win partnership for us."
Potts said he is excited to be able to perform at the Preserve.
"That's a really cool place to be," Potts said. "When my kids were little, we used to take them out there all the time. They used to do summer camp out there. To be able to do something to raise awareness and funds for the forest preserve is better than a regular concert for me."
The audience is expected to be a blend of his loyal fans and community members who love the Preserve, according to Potts.
"I'm hoping that a lot of my fans will come out that maybe don't know, haven't been to the Forest Preserve before, and then people from the community who maybe haven't heard about me, but know about the event will come," Potts said. "I'm hoping we get a lot of people."
Jamie Anderson, marketing, communication and business development manager for the preserve, said she is excited to have more people visit the Preserve.
"We're really excited about the event and presenting the preserve to another audience that hasn't been out and seen what it has to offer," Anderson said.
The City of Auburn presents other outdoor concerts throughout the year as well, including the spring and fall Sundown Concert Series.
"I have a pretty good relationship with the city," Potts said. "They do a great job of having local artists and musicians play at their events. That is always appreciated by us."
Rainey said she feels the preserve is a great location for the event.
"The amphitheater at the preserve is the perfect setting to enjoy a live performance," Rainey said. "You're just minutes away from Auburn, but you feel miles and miles away from everything."
Songs in the Woods will be Sunday, Sept. 14, from 4-6 p.m.
Admission is $10 per person.

Share and discuss “Forest Ecology Preserve brings local musician for Songs in the Woods” on social media.