Students prepare for new season of sports excitement

(Luke Popwell | Photographer)
(Luke Popwell | Photographer)

After last year's miracles in Jordan-Hare, it seems impossible the Auburn Tigers could play a better season.
But it's time for a new year, new members of the Auburn Family and a new team to make memories with.
It's time for football season, and though they go head to head on the field, it's a tradition many Southeastern schools share.
Stephen Reynolds, senior in political science, said his favorite Auburn tradition is gathering in Jordan-Hare.
"I couldn't wait to get back into the stadium where we experienced those miracle catches," Reynolds said. "The unpredictability of Auburn football is what makes it so great."
Game day in Auburn is special because Auburn fans have a sense of community when they gather to cheer their team on, Reynolds said.
"Thousands of people getting together for the same cause and supporting the same people is an amazing experience," Reynolds said. "You couldn't start the semester off on a better note."
Reynolds, a senior, cheered at his last first football game Saturday. Even so, he said it isn't something to grieve.
"I don't feel like I have much left on the table during my final year here," Reynolds said. "No matter what happens, I've already ended on a good note because of the great memories I've made in Jordan-Hare."
While fans enjoy tailgating, rolling Toomer's and other Auburn traditions, some feel the fellowship of Auburn fans is what sets the Tigers' game day apart from the rest.
"I love to see the city of Auburn busy with alumni, fans and other members of the Auburn Family excited about the game," said Chance Nowell, junior in apparel merchandising, design and production management.
Jordan Jemison, junior in apparel merchandising, design and production management, said the best part of game day wasn't the Auburn spirit itself, but what it does for the Tigers.
"It's seeing the underdog story played out time and time again, and realizing that anything is possible," Jemison said. "There's nothing like proving the predictions wrong, and showing what we're really made of. We did it once, and we can do it again."
Students were more than eager to return to Jordan-Hare on Saturday, but it was the determination of the alumni who watched from afar that made the Tigers roar.
Alumna Hannah Jimmerson, who graduated in May with a degree in physics, said while she couldn't attend the game in person, she was there in spirit.
"It hurts to not be at the game in person, but I was so excited to see my boys play," Jimmerson said. "It was great to return home to cheer my team on with my family. I wasn't with thousands of members of the Auburn Family, but I was with them just the same."
Jimmerson said she hopes to attend at least one home game this season, and witness the traditions in person.
"I can't wait to watch the eagle fly as we shout our battle cry," Jimmerson said. "I fell in love with Auburn because I knew it was where I was meant to start my career, and where I was meant to be. On game day and on any day, it's home."

Share and discuss “Students prepare for new season of sports excitement” on social media.