OPINION: Halloween is not for judging women

(Why a pink logo? The Auburn Plainsman is going pink for the month of October in support of Breast Cancer Awareness.)

Halloween is my absolute favorite holiday. I love zombies. I love candy corn. It falls during what might be the most pleasant-weathered month of the calendar year, and it gives me a reason to buy the obscene amounts of fake blood I pine for the other 365 days.
But the older I've gotten, the more I've noticed Halloween changing -- and not in the typical "you're too old to trick-or-treat" way. Halloween has become political. It has been infected by a misogynistic society. Yes, I'm talking about slut-shaming.
Let's stop shying away from it: humans -- that means men and, shocker, women -- are sexual creatures. Whether or not you believe that is because of a god's design or biology is irrelevant; even the Bible mentions sex has its place and is meant to be enjoyed.
Women and men desire sex equally, contrary to what movies with cuckolding wives would have us believe. But it's stereotypical female roles like that that lead to the perception that a woman who loves her body, who loves to show it off and use it, is a whore.
Men who do the same thing are typically given high-fives and hearty shouts of "get it, bro."
Halloween reinforces that.
Have you ever looked at the difference in men and women's Halloween costumes? Head on over to Party City and take a gander, if you haven't. A man can be a firefighter, a policeman, a superhero. Women are Flirty Firefighter, Curvy Cop, Sexy Superhero. Let's face it, ladies, when it comes to mainstream costumes we have a pretty limited selection, and who doesn't want to look cute?
Nobody, and yet when we wear things that show off our assets -- the things every other girl is wearing, we're met with a social-media chorus of "Girls, respect yourselves, don't dress like a slut!"
What if I wear a short dress because I like my legs? What if I wear a corset because it makes my waist look awesome? What if women wear these costumes to feel good about themselves and not in the hopes of snagging a man to take home at the end of the night?
Revealing costumes are not the same thing as a booty call. Wearing a bikini top to a bar does not mean yes. It doesn't mean that if someone does choose to take advantage of a girl it's her fault.
Women, wear what you want, and wear it for you. Men and women alike, stop perpetuating a rape-culture mentality. Drop the words skank and slut from your Halloween vocabulary. Drop them from your entire vocabulary, actually. If you're don't want to wear something skimpy, don't wear it. But don't be offended because other people do, and especially don't shame people who aren't like you. Be comfortable in your own skin. Wear what makes you feel beautiful, or enchanted, or -- if you're like me -- undead and hungry for the brains of the living. But most importantly, show each other the respect and kindness you want to be shown, and have a fun, safe Halloween.
Raye May is the photography editor at The Plainsman. She can be reached at photo@theplainsman.com

Share and discuss “OPINION: Halloween is not for judging women” on social media.