Paranormal investigators offer tours of legends of Auburn

(Why a pink logo? The Auburn Plainsman is going pink for the month of October in support of Breast Cancer Awareness.)

Downtown Auburn was once a stage for the Civil War.
Thousands of lives were lost, and the resulting legends have become widely known, modern day ghost stories.
John Poe and Brandon Stoker are paranormal investigators. Stoker said his interest in paranormal activity began as a child.
He said he always had a sense for it, recalling objects that moved and whispers during the day when no one was home.
"When you decide this is something you want to do, you have to ask yourself, 'Should I do this or should I get checked out first?'" Stoker said.
The paranormal is something many people question, but together Poe and Stoker have more than 28 years of experience investigating the myths surrounding Auburn's historical landmarks.
"People think that the word paranormal means you have to investigate at night, but things are just as likely to occur in the middle of a bright, sunny day," Stoker said.
The Haunted Auburn Downtown Walking Tour began when Auburn University students approached Poe.
"They wanted to know if I knew of any haunted spots, which I did, but they also were wondering if I knew of any tours, and I thought that was a great idea," Poe said.
The tour is now in its second year and begins at Toomer's Corner.
Faith Serafin, author and founder of Alabama Ghost Hunters, specializes in the history of both Auburn and Opelika, expanding the local haunting legends that surround the area.
In her study of the Auburn University Chapel, Serafin said the church was once used as a hospital for Confederate soldiers whose wounds were beyond medical care.
"When the soldiers passed, the bodies were taken to Old Main or better known as Samford Hall," Serafin said.
At the top of the building a large bell tower overlooked what is now downtown Auburn.
From this vantage point, a soldier on guard would warn his fellow soldiers of impending attacks.
However, on a still night in 1887, a mysterious fire demolished the building, consuming the bodies of fallen soldiers and taking the life of the bell tower guard.
The building that replaced Old Main has become the center of the University's campus and comes with a modern day ghost story.
Since the building's construction, police have received reports of a man with a rifle at the top of the tower.
Phantom fires have also been an occurence within the area.
Serafin recalls a trip with her sister to Samford Hall.
"She looked at me and said 'do you smell that?' and when I said no she told me that she smelled burning wood," Serafin said.
When the two investigated they found nothing, and it wasn't until later they both learned the history of Samford Hall and the death of the Bell Tower Guard.
Many skeptics have questioned the authenticity of the Samford Hall legend and history; however, investigators stand by their findings.
The Auburn Downtown Walking Tour attempts to reveal the depth of paranormal investigation, while diving into the deep history of the area.
"It's a night of fun, exciting history, with a ghost story to boot," Poe said.
Tour dates can be found at aotourism.com/calendar or contact John Poe at (334)444-1422.
Tours begin at 7 p.m., and a second tour begins at 9 p.m.
_______________________________________________________________________________

Read more on local haunts:

Share and discuss “Paranormal investigators offer tours of legends of Auburn” on social media.