Auburn University's game day traffic plan

(Charlotte Kelly | Graphics Editor)
(Charlotte Kelly | Graphics Editor)

It was almost midnight as fans began to exit Jordan-Hare Stadium after Auburn's win against LSU.
After rolling Toomer's Corner, traffic began to circulate as police officers stationed themselves at intersections and barricades to direct thousands of cars safely out of Auburn.
On home game weekends, incoming traffic isn't the problem, according to Randy Cerovsky of Auburn University Department of Public Safety. People slowly enter Auburn as early as Thursday before the game however, when it's over everyone wants to leave at the same time.
Almost all intersections are covered by the Auburn Police Division, while some one-way streets are used for two-way access, and barricades protect Toomer's Corner from traffic.
Jay Steele, associate of facilities and operations for Auburn University, said in 2006 the University partnered with Skipper Consulting Inc. to develop a system for all sports related traffic.
A year-long study followed, and the result was a plan that has stood the test of time, according to Steele.
"In 2006 we were averaging 2 hours minimum to get traffic cleared, but now we average about an hour and 20 minutes for any given event," Steele said.
Each year there is a post-season meeting where Auburn officials meet with various partners, such as APD and Skipper Consulting Inc. to revisit the plan, because roads are continually changing.
Captain Tommy Carswell of the APD has been directing traffic on campus for several years.
"The important thing is that we try to revise the plan as little as possible because we want people to become familiar with the system and not have to learn it year after year," Carswell said.
Over the years no one seems to have noticed an increase or decrease in game day traffic accidents.
The statistics are something no one has, said Carswell, and to his knowledge there have not been any accidents on campus. However, off campus, the largest problem area seems to be South College Street.
"There are games in the past that have come down to the last few seconds." said Carswell, "When that happens you have thousands of people trying to leave at the same time, and a lot head toward South College."
Steele has been a part of these operations for 10 years and in that time can only recall two major accidents.
"Of course you don't want any accidents, but only being able to recall 2 in 10 years stands for something," said Steele.
There is not expected to be any major changes to the game day traffic plan. Carswell said there have been suggestions to add new turning lanes, but the areas this will affect have not been discussed.
"Fans really need to be aware, the game day plans are posted online and they are also published in the fan guide," said Cerovsky.
Anyone looking for more information should contact the Auburn University Department of Public Safety at 334-844-8888.

Share and discuss “Auburn University's game day traffic plan” on social media.