Professor believes in Auburn and loves it

Paul Harris helps students like Jesse Akozbek, junior in electrical engineering, find scholarships. (Charles Tatum | Photographer)

It was 3 a.m., and like most college professors, Paul Harris, associate director for national prestigious scholarships and associate professor in political science, was asleep.
When his phone rang, he woke with a start and rubbed his eyes as he turned on the light.
The name Ashton Richardson flashed across the screen as the phone rang loudly.
It was the middle of the night, but one of his students needed him, and he wasn't going to let him down.
"Harris was always able to calm me down and get me to believe in myself again," said Richardson, 2012 graduate summa cum laude in veterinary medicine. "He's not just your average teacher; he's more like a parent. It was the little things like that that are a testimony to the type of person and teacher he is."
Harris helps dozens of students apply for prestigious awards each year.
Harris mentors students applying for scholarships, such as the Rhodes, Marshall, Fulbright, Truman, Mitchell, Goldwater and Gates-Cambridge.
As an Auburn alumnus and recipient of the Fulbright Scholarship, Harris said he feels fortunate to help students see their potential.
"I had such a positive experience as a Fulbright Scholar," Harris said. "I want everyone at Auburn to have that chance."
Harris was a doctoral student at Auburn when he was awarded the Fulbright Scholarship in 1994. When he applied, Harris said Kathie Mattox, now his colleague, was one of his mentors.
Mattox, associate director for the Honors College, said she has loved seeing Harris grow.
"Dr. Harris has this incredible passion for living," Mattox said. "I saw him as a great student, and now he's a great friend."
Richardson said Auburn's prestigious scholarship success can be attributed to Harris.
"I know it sounds like a crazy thing to say someone has changed your life, but Dr. Harris has changed mine beyond the shadow of a doubt," Richardson said. "I thought I was just going to be a football player and maybe a large animal vet down the road until he showed me all I can do."
Richardson was a finalist for the Muenster Scholarship and the Rhodes Scholarship twice while he was enrolled at Auburn. Now, the graduate has been chosen as a finalist for the Marshall Scholarship.
If awarded, Richardson will pursue a doctorate of philosophy in international development at Oxford University in the United Kingdom.
When applying for these prestigious opportunities, Richardson said he recalls the time he spent with Harris.
"I think back to when he would talk with me about fighting the world's fight," Richardson said. "He's helped me realize that you're not just on this earth to live for yourself."
Since Harris became the associate director for national prestigious scholarships in 2008, the number of Auburn students who have become finalists or recipients of the awards have skyrocketed.
Four Auburn students were selected to receive a Fulbright scholarship from 1994 to 2009. Since 2009, Auburn has had 10 Fulbright scholars.
"I knew Auburn students could do it, and they can do it," Harris said. "Auburn students can compete with the top students in the country. How do you know if you don't try? Believe in yourself."
Harris received a Fulbright, but said he wasn't always a stellar student.
When Harris graduated high school, he attended Georgia Southern and failed his junior year with a 1.9 GPA.
"All I cared about was hunting and fishing," Harris said. "I just didn't give a damn."
Harris said though he was a terrible student, he wasn't a bad person - just lazy.
Once he grew up a few years later, Harris received his bachelor's degree, went on to get his master's and was accepted to Auburn's doctoral program.
"Auburn University took a chance on me, and I'm so grateful for that," Harris said. "I'm going to do everything I can to give back to this University and the wonderful students that go here."
Harris said he wants students to speak with him and find out what scholarships are right for them.
"Just come talk to me no matter where you are in your academic walk," Harris said. "I'm proof that you can turn yourself around and achieve things you never thought possible if you put your mind to it."
Harris said while he works in the Honors College, he's not limited to honors students.
"I'm here to serve all Auburn students," Harris said. "The Auburn Family is a real thing, and I'm here to help anyone in it."
Mattox said students shouldn't feel nervous about meeting with Harris.
"Dr. Harris is very approachable," Mattox said. "He wants to know your story, he's that kind of guy. Different scholarships are better for different students, and he wants to help you figure which one is right for you."
To contact Harris about scholarship opportunities or to get academic advice, send him a message at paul.harris@auburn.edu.
Harris said his job can be emotionally draining, but he knows it's what he's called to do.
"My wife and I were never able to have children," Harris said. "When I work with my students, they're the kids I never had. I celebrate when they win, and I'm sad for them when they don't. No matter what happens."

Share and discuss “Professor believes in Auburn and loves it” on social media.