Student's artwork featured in 'Southern Humanities Review'

(Contributed by Laura Mitchell)
(Contributed by Laura Mitchell)

When Laura Mitchell was 2 years old, she couldn't write her name, but she could color inside the lines. Even as a toddler, art came naturally to her.
Now a senior in studio arts, Mitchell said she is using her talent to pursue a career in the arts, and her hard work is paying off.
In April, Mitchell submitted her self-portrait to Auburn's research exhibition. It was accepted, and during a Research Week event, Aaron Alford, managing editor of Southern Humanities Review, spotted the piece and chose it for the magazine's cover.
"Laura's been so excited about it, which is so refreshing," Alford said. "A student's work has never been on the cover since the journal was founded in 1967. We usually went for the work of professional artists, but this was a homegrown artist who's still in school. It's with great pride that we get to showcase her work and developing talent."
Last fall, Mitchell read "Heartbreak Hotel" by Auburn alumna Anne Rivers Siddons for an advanced drawing class.
After reading the novel, professor of art Barb Bondy asked her students to find something in the novel to use as an analogy for their artistic voices and create a piece.
"I saw myself in Maggie, the main character," Mitchell said. "She was bound by expectations from her parents, friends and society, and she experienced this inner struggle of who she was supposed to be."
Mitchell said she identified with Maggie's struggle and used it to create "To Be Good: Self Portrait," a self-portrait done in a paint-by-number style with a legend at the bottom. The legend contains each color used in the drawing and a characteristic to accompany each shade.
"The characteristics I chose were ones I felt would make me a good person," Mitchell said. "In the piece, I break away from what's expected of me and become who I want to be. As a college student, I could relate to the anxiety of change and expectation. I'm not a child or a full-fledged adult. This composition helped me grow as an artist and a person."
Alford attended the Research Week events to see students' work from the College of Liberal Arts.
"I didn't go there looking for a new cover," Alford said. "It was immediate. Laura's piece was there, and it was such a striking image that hit me like lightning. When I got closer to it and saw the concept of it, I just had to know more about it."
Alford said while he wasn't looking for a cover for the newest edition of Southern Humanities Review, it was exactly what the journal needed.
Mitchell's self-portrait was featured on the most recent issue of the quarterly journal with the legend explaining her characteristics on the back cover.
Bondy, the professor who worked with Mitchell as she created her piece, said she is excited for her talented student.
"This would even be major for a professional, so this is an extremely big deal for a student," Bondy said. "She worked hard and used a technique she wasn't familiar with. She pushed herself and now here she is."
Mitchell said Bondy has been her biggest encouragement and greatest influence while studying at Auburn.
"Dr. Bondy was able to challenge my ideas and refine them in a way I've never experienced before," Mitchell said. "She pushed me to think deeper and more uniquely, and even when I create great, she's taught me that it all can't be good."
Bondy said Mitchell's determination reminds her why she loves her job.
"As a professor, you hope a student will latch onto your advice or teachings, and that's what Laura did," Bondy said. "She put herself out there."
Mitchell said she loves being an artist, but is eager to teach others about her passion.
"Art has given me the greatest view of the world and the greatest joy," Mitchell said. "I want to spread that joy and I hope my artwork speaks to people."
The most recent issue of Southern Humanities Review with Mitchell's cover can be picked up for $5 per copy in room 9088 of the Haley Center.

Share and discuss “Student's artwork featured in 'Southern Humanities Review'” on social media.