Survivors and patients connect through group

Breast cancer can be a horrific experience.
However, thanks to the Breast Cancer Connections support group at Auburn University, those going through this experience can find support and guidance from survivors.
As part of the Women's Resource Center Women's Initiatives, Connections meets on the third Thursday of every month.
Karla Teel, a two-time survivor and associate professor of consumer and design sciences, helped start the group in 2008.
"In 2007, we started doing the lighting at Cater Hall to bring awareness to breast cancer," Teel said.
Teel said she began talking to a group of survivors at the event.
"There were a few survivors that came, and we just stayed after and talked about how did you handle this, what doctor did you use, how are you doing now," Teel said.
After the lighting, everyone dispersed.
"I didn't see them again," Teel said. "I went away with a sense that we needed something on campus."
Teel said she went to the head of the resource center and asked if there was a support group on campus for people affected by cancer.
The monthly meetings began, and new people have continued to come with questions and look for support.
"I will get speakers to come in like the breast health navigator Colleen Alsobrook," Teel said.
Emily Myers, facilitator of the program and associate clinical professor in social work, said the group is there for anyone who might need help.
"Being a survivor, I think I can help support others and get support myself," Myers said. "I find that it helps me to help others."
Myers, who had a double mastectomy and reconstruction, also said it is important for the meetings to happen, even if only one or two people show up.
"If one person shows up, it is like they really need to be there," Myers said.
Educational sessions are also part of the group meetings.
Physicians and pharmacists often come to speak about various breast cancer topics.
According to Myers, the experiences of survivors or current breast cancer patients are key to the meetings.
"It is really a place to just share stories and information on resources like 'Where did you go for your treatment and how did you like it?'" Myers said.
Myers said survivors also share tips they used during their treatment during meetings.
"One woman came in with a whole recipe for radiation oil for burns that people get during radiation," Myers said. "I have been able to pass that on to people that I know."
According to the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation, groups focused on emotional support are useful for people who are comfortable expressing their feelings and fears about breast cancer in a group setting.
Myers said people reach this stage at different times in their recovery, or not at all.
For people who may not have been to a meeting, Myers said the information and support shared at the meetings is crucial.
"The emotional support and mutual aid is when you find out you are all in the same boat," Myers said.
Myers said the meetings are part lunch, part therapy.
"We just bring a brown-bag lunch or heat up our food in the microwave and we just sit there and chat and get an update on everyone or answer questions of newly diagnosed women," Teel said.

Share and discuss “Survivors and patients connect through group” on social media.