International Buddies make music together

Yedurag "Yedu" Babu of Kerala, India, has developed an enjoyment for bluegrass music thanks to his international buddy.
In summer 2013, the Office of International Programs started the International Buddy Program, a way for international and local students to form meaningful friendships.

Babu, graduate student in industrial engineering, said he and his buddy, Trent Miller, senior in international business, have formed a deep friendship.
"It's cool because we are both guitarists and are really into similar things," Babu said. "We have the same interests even though we're from different cultures. I'm more than happy with the way it's turned out."
Babu and Miller have started jamming to different genres of music as a study break every Saturday.
"We started making music together and showing each other different things about the music where we come from," Babu said. "I'm in a metal band, and Trent's in a folk one, and playing all types of our favorite music has given us a better understanding of each other."
Buddies are asked to spend time together at least once per month, but now that Babu and Miller have gotten to know each other well, they hang out as often as possible.
A few months ago, Miller took Babu to his first metal concert in Birmingham.
"I wasn't the only one to show and teach him things," Miller said. "It's been really special to hear the kind of music he likes, try to play it and try some Indian food he's prepared for me and my friends. We have more in common than two people from different cultures ever would have realized."
Katherine Williams, the program adviser for the International Buddy Program, said she saw the need for international students and American students connecting.
"When people arrive here from another country, there's a basic cultural adjustment," Williams said, "but we can't do that by ourselves. We need a team."
Over the past year and a half, Williams said the International Buddy Program has taken off and became the team international students need.
"The world is becoming globalized, and Auburn is too, even if students don't realize it," Williams said. "It enriches your life so much to know someone from another culture, and it changes your perspective. It can be challenging, but it's so rewarding to see your differences and your friendship grow."
Williams, who paired Miller and Babu together, said she's been overjoyed at how successful the program has worked for them.
"We interview the applicants, and noticed that both of them said they had a strong interest in music," Williams said. "It was a perfect friendship match, and I want their success to encourage other students to find one for themselves with our program."
Williams said the best part about the pair is that they likely wouldn't have met without the buddy program.
"Just think about it," Williams said. "How often do you see an Indian guy and a student in a fraternity hanging out together? Their paths likely wouldn't have crossed, and when they did, they turned out to have a great time together."
Babu said moving to the United States was easier because of his friendship with Miller.
"The culture shock was a lot easier to handle because of Trent," Babu said. "It's a completely different world than India, and Trent really helped me get to know it."
Babu and Miller agreed that they plan to remain friends long after graduation.
"Our friendship has impacted me so much because he's made me appreciate where we come from and what we have," Miller said. "These days, it's easy to stay in contact through the social media, and after making all these music together, I really hope we never stop."
Miller said Babu has taught him a lot about the Indian culture, but he's showed him a lot about different cultures as a whole.
"We have similar interests, but it was cool to realize that we think the same way, too," Miller said. "We're both really laid back people, and this experience has shown me that, no matter where we come from, we're not all so different after all."
To apply to the International Buddy Program, contact Katherine Williams at kgw0005@auburn.edu, or (334) 740-6103.

Share and discuss “International Buddies make music together” on social media.