Practice makes perfect for the Auburn women's basketball team

The practice squad, or scout team as they are officially called, is a group of male students who practice with the women's basketball team. (Contributed by Coach Terri Williams-Flournoy)

In order for a team to attain success on the field, court or diamond, coaches and players must work to get there. That is not an exception for the Auburn women's basketball team. Aside from the coaches that support and teach the players, there is a group of men who help the basketball team perform on the court.
The practice squad, or scout team as they are officially called, is a group of male students who practice with the women's basketball team. They do drills against the players and scrimmage against them to push them to be faster and stronger.
Being a member of the practice squad is different than being a student athlete even though their purpose is to help the team improve.
According to Hunter DeFalco, freshman in business, they practice whenever they can.
"We try to have at least five or six guys here every practice," DeFalco said.
They do not have to try out or be recruited, they are recommended to be on the scout team. All of the guys on the team played in high school, according to John Segrest, freshman in business.
DeFalco and Segrest are both new to the team this year, but Lawrence Nourzad, senior in marketing, is a veteran to the squad. As a fifth-year at Auburn, he is familiar with the team and helping the women practice.
"Most people think, 'What is this guy?' when they see my Auburn backpack or something because they know I'm not actually an athlete," Nourzad said. "I usually just tell them I help out with the women's basketball team."
As a part of helping out with the team and being a former basketball player in high school, Lawrence said he has made memories from the practice squad and always playing against girls.
"One time I got a little breakaway there and thought I had it," Nourzad said. "It was just me and the basket, and she skied out of nowhere. Like she can really get up. She can almost dunk it."
DeFalco and Segrest claim they do not get intimidated when they are playing against the women in practice.
They said they're just glad they can be out there practicing and they can continue to play basketball while helping Auburn's basketball program by playing every week.
During the women's basketball game, one can see the girls playing on the court. One can also see the coaches on the sidelines, and one can even see the girls on the bench. What is not visible is the team that helps them during practice by providing a different type of competition.

Share and discuss “Practice makes perfect for the Auburn women's basketball team” on social media.