For Auburn natives, college living stays closer to home

Lucy Banks, pictured at home, lives with her parents. Despite some restrictions, Banks said she enjoys living rent-free. (Emily Enfinger | Photo Editor)

When Lucy Banks, freshman in psychology, moved off campus, she said she did it to enjoy her freedom and live with her boyfriend at the time.
"I really liked having whoever I wanted come over whenever I wanted," Banks said.
Banks said she lived on West Glenn Avenue, a five-minute drive down the road from her parents.
Banks, who grew up in Auburn, now lives with her parents, citing a better environment for her cat, Theia, money and greater focus on her schoolwork.
"When I lived by myself, I wanted to party a lot," Banks said. "(My mother) keeps me in check, but gives me my space."
Banks is one native Auburn resident who chose to attend the town's university while still living at home.
Corey Spicer, senior in interdisciplinary studies, said he doesn't mind going to college in the same town where he grew up.
"I always tell (people), when you graduate Auburn High School, you know Auburn in one sense, but when you go to Auburn University, it feels like a whole different town," Spicer said.
Spicer lives in a townhouse his parents bought for his older brother, who also attended Auburn University. He said he pays rent to his parents, who are "super reasonable" about costs, rolling rent and utilities into one bill.
"I'm super thankful for that," Spicer said.
Nathan Coker, senior in fine arts, said he lives in his parents' Auburn home to save money for graduation.
Coker said he wants to save at least six months of rent before moving out.
"Until I graduate, I'm just trying to focus on school and not paying the bills," Coker said. "The benefits are so good with the financial situation I'm in, I can't argue with the downsides."
Coker said the biggest downside for him, as a musician, is not being able to play guitar late at night -- though he said that restriction is "really not that bad."
Banks said she also lives with restrictions in her parents' home, mostly about who she can invite over to the house and at what times.
However, Banks said she appreciates living rent-free and somewhere that will also let her keep her cat.
Banks said she plans to move out later this year to somewhere with a yard for the dog she said she plans to own. She said her mother has started encouraging her to look into moving out.
"She didn't want me to move out, but now that I've moved back in, she's asking me to go look at apartments," Banks said.
Coker, who said he also plans to move out after graduation, said he wishes more people knew about the benefits of living at home.
"It's not a big deal," Coker said. "It's actually a huge convenience."

Share and discuss “For Auburn natives, college living stays closer to home” on social media.