City Council passes apartment moratorium

false

<p>(Jim Little | Community Editor)</p>

(Jim Little | Community Editor)

The Auburn City Council put a suspension on development when the council members present voted to pass an apartment moratorium. Councilwoman Beth Witten, Ward 3, and Councilman Clemon Byrd, Ward 1, were not in attendance. Property owners and citizens from all over the community attended the meeting Feb. 17, to argue for and against the moratorium.
Councilman Brent Beard, Ward 4, said in nine years, he hasn't seen greater conflict brought before the City Council.
"I've had communications with people on both sides of the fence for over a month now ... and they've all been right," Beard said. "I can't argue with any of them so it makes it very difficult."
Effective starting Feb. 17, there will be a temporary halt on construction of multiple unit developments.
This will include apartments, condominiums or any other form of ownership or operation within the University service zoning district located east of College Street, according to city documents.
Councilman Gene Dulaney, Ward 7, said this was not a result of conflict surrounding the new development at 160 N. Ross St. as many citizens against the moratorium had mentioned.
"When we look at multi-unit family development ... it's not following the normal supply and demand that we typically see in a competitive market," Dulaney said. "It's not sustainable and because it's not sustainable it's creating unintended consequences that are affecting our city as a whole."
The moratorium will not impact any multiple unit developments that have received a zoning certificate from the City Planning Department, a valid land disturbance permit from the City Public Works Department or a construction or building permit from the City Codes Enforcement Division on or before Feb. 17.
Councilman Tommy Dawson, Ward 8, said he thought it was time to look at the issue of the moratorium from a public safety standpoint.
"We have people coming to live in these apartments that have been vacated by students, that frankly, we don't want in Auburn," Dawson said. "I primarily look at the safety of these kids."
City documents state that the moratorium will be in effect for six months unless it is terminated or extended by action of the City Council.
Mayor Bill Ham Jr. said he believes the council had to consider the impacts of their decisions on the community 50 and 100 years from now.
"This community is not going to stop growing," Ham said. "As long as (we have) the quality of life, the school system, Auburn University and all the things that are good, people will continue to want to be a part of that."
Other topics at the meeting included:
-The council passed an annexation for the Industrial Development Board of the City of Auburn located south of Beehive Road. It will be approximately 78.35 acres.
-The council passed an agreement with the City of Opelika for a traffic signal at the intersection of Opelika Road/Pepperrell Parkway and Commerce Drive.
-The council granted a retail alcoholic beverage license to University Station RV and Resort as well as a request for a retail beer and wine license for the convenience store also located on the property.

Share and discuss “City Council passes apartment moratorium” on social media.