Editorial: War Equal makes its way to Alabama

false

<p>(Emily Enfinger | Photo Editor)</p>

(Emily Enfinger | Photo Editor)

U.S. District Court Judge Callie V.S. Granade ruled Alabama's same-sex marriage ban was unconstitutional Friday, Jan. 23.
Granade issued a two-week stay on her decision to allow for appeals, but if no further delays come into effect by Feb. 9, same-sex couples will be able to marry in the state as soon as that day. Luther Strange, Alabama Attorney General, also appealed to the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals, seeking a longer delay to allow for the U.S. Supreme Court's ruling later this year.
We applaud Granade on her decision and urge the courts to uphold this ruling. The current laws banning same-sex marriage are blatantly unconstitutional and the courts should rule under previous precedents, such as Brown v. Board of Education and the due process and equal protection clauses of the 14th amendment, established by the Supreme Court and government, which leave room for no other ruling than the support of same-sex marriage.
Some may argue in the defense of banning same-sex marriage under the premise that civil unions are just as good as marriages, so same-sex couples should settle with being allowed to have civil unions. According to Merriam-Webster.com, a civil union is defined as a legal relationship between two people of the same sex that gives them some of the same rights and responsibilities that married people have. Some of the same rights, not all.
In the Brown v. Board of Education Supreme Court decision, the courts decided separate but equal laws were unconstitutional, declaring segregated schools unequal. This precedent has established that separate but equal laws are unconstitutional in the eyes of the federal court system.
This ruling should be welcomed by Auburn's LGBT community and equal-rights supporters on and off campus.
However, as Auburn was declared the most conservative public university, according to a Time Inc. list, there are bound to be a number of students and professors who are against same-sex marriage legalization. While we agree freedom of speech allows one to be against same-sex marriage, we disagree such opinions have merit in federal court.
Mike Hubbard, Speaker of the Alabama House of Representatives, spoke out against the decision and urged the courts to uphold the "Christian conservative values that make Alabama a special place to live."
Hubbard's opinion, which he has a right to express, is simply an opinion. The Constitution overrules state laws and unifies the country in the most basic values and freedoms that make the United States so different. Under the Constitution, we the people are granted freedom of religion. This country is not legally a conservative-Christian nation.
The United States does not support one major religion, thus defending the ban on same-sex marriage by saying it goes against Christian values holds no merit in court.
According to CNN.com, the Mormon church, previously one of the biggest opponents to same-sex marriage, agreed to stop arguments against same-sex marriage as long as religious establishments would not be required to marry same-sex couples.
Alabama should not drag out this decision. It is time to show the rest of the U.S. Alabama has shucked its stereotypical role of being one of the last to embrace social change and is becoming a forward-thinking state.

Share and discuss “Editorial: War Equal makes its way to Alabama” on social media.