Married couples settle into life in on-campus dorm rooms in the Village

Some couples have found homes in Auburn, but not in houses. They’ve chosen to settle down alongside students in the residence halls.

Kimberly Dixon, graduate area coordinator for Village South, lives in Willow Hall in the Village with her husband, Brandon Dixon, and their 11-month-old son Luke Dixon.

Kimberly and her family have lived in Willow Hall since August 2014.

“The Village is the best place for our little family,” Kimberly said.

Kimberly said friends and family wondered how she and her husband would make the space work with an infant.

“Everyone thought we were nuts,” Kimberly said.

According to Kimberly, chapter rooms on first floor of the residence hall surround her family, which is quieter than being next to residents.

Their room in the Village has a dishwasher and is close to the laundry room, which Kimberly said is convenient.

Kimberly said her family also enjoys the convenience of having their own parking spaces—when no one is in them.

The best part of living in the dorms, according to Kimberly, is she works with the resident assistants and is involved in the growth of the community.

Kimberly said she believes if students live in a solid community, they are more likely to stay in college.

However, there are issues with living in a dorm. Kimberly said is it is difficult for her son to avoid germs and rain.

“When (Luke) gets awoken from a nap because someone is screaming, it’s frustrating,” Kimberly said.

Another issue they face is space. Kimberly said she and her husband were already minimalists before they moved into the dorm. They make the small space work by utilizing every part of the closets.

“There are moments when I think, ‘I wish I didn’t have to deal with this,’” Kimberly said.

Kimberly said she and her husband do not regret living in a dorm.

Anouther couple living in the dorms, Jay and Rachel Skipworth, have been married for nine years.

They went from living in their own home to a residence hall. They have lived in Plainsman Hall in the Village for almost six years.

Jay, assistant director of student employment, said living in the dorms is a great way to connect with students.

“It’s a way to extend services to students in a non-
traditional way,” Jay said.

According to the couple, living in a dorm after a house requires adjusting.

“It has its ups and downs, but it’s fun,” Rachel said.

Jay and Rachel said they have made the small space work by using storage units and narrowing down to what they need.

Rachel said they lived in the dorm when it was all boys, co-ed and now all girls.

“The best part is getting to know the students and seeing them outside of class,” Rachel said.

They have also lived with the basketball team, swim team and track team.

“There’s never a dull moment,” Rachel said. “If you get bored, you can just look out the window.”

Jay said though living in a dorm has challenges, it also has benefits.

“It’s taught us that we don’t need a lot to be happy and survive,” Jay said.

Share and discuss “Married couples settle into life in on-campus dorm rooms in the Village” on social media.