Shamsid-Deen shut down, Mason's status uncertain for Georgia

false

Tahj Shamsid-Deen goes around a defender to put up a layup. (Kenny Moss | Photographer)

Auburn head coach Bruce Pearl announced Friday that Tahj Shamsid-Deen will undergo surgery on both shoulders and will miss the rest of the season.
"Unfortunately, this has been his fifth or sixth dislocation and a couple on each shoulder," Pearl said. "He has never had a separated shoulder up until this year. He is going to need surgery on both shoulders and he is going to shut down. His first surgery will be next Thursday."
Shamsid-Deen, who reinjured his left shoulder during the Tigers' midweek loss to Arkansas, played 23 minutes per game while averaging 6.1 points.
"At this point we don't want there to any more damage," Pearl said. "He has been a real warrior battling through pain."
The status of fellow guard Antoine Mason is also unclear for the Tigers' Saturday matchup against Georgia.
"(Mason) is in New York City with his dad," Pearl said. "It has been a difficult time for Antoine and his family. We just have them in our prayers. We have been in touch every day, talking and texting."
Mason's father, former NBA All-Star Anthony Mason, is reportedly fighting for his life in New York, but Pearl said he recommend Mason be there for his family.
"He has done so with the team as well," Pearl said. "His status, as far as when he will come back, is uncertain. We will take it day-to-day and pray that his dad survives this really difficult time."
With two starting guards likely unavailable for Saturday's showdown against Georgia, Pearl said players such as K.C. Ross-Miller, Malcolm Canada and Patrick Keim will have to step up.
Pearl said the trials of the season were taking a toll on the morale of the team, but that his squad would do what it could to make the best of the remaining season.
"We will roll our sleeves up every single day and figure out a game plan against the teams we are competing against," Pearl said. "We will keep laying the foundation. I feel bad for our fan base. I really do."

Share and discuss “Shamsid-Deen shut down, Mason's status uncertain for Georgia” on social media.