Student saves money by using only University resources and facilities

false

Patton Chambers warms his oatmeal in the Student Center every morning.

On the fourth floor of the Ralph Brown Draughon Library, through a maze of bookshelves, nestled under an empty desk at 7 a.m. every Monday through Friday is an occupied sleeping bag.
Patton Chambers, senior in physical education, is not sleeping in the library because he has a chemistry exam to study for.
Patton chooses to live a homeless lifestyle and has been since the Saturday before the fall 2014 semester started.
Patton's day-to-day life consists of sleeping in the library on weekdays, sleeping in a tent by the old Hutsell track on weekends, cooking 13-cent oatmeal in the microwave in the Student Center for breakfast, eating expired Planters peanuts he bought at a flea market for lunch and showering in his underwear in the Recreation and Wellness Center.
"I stay fresh enough," Patton said. "If I swim in a pool, I feel like that did something. It's going to sound gross, but I have not changed my underwear once this semester."
Patton said he hasn't run into any trouble with campus security yet while sleeping in the library.
"My biggest fear has been misplacing things," Patton said. "When you're in my shoes, you can't afford to misplace things."
Patton said he decided to be homeless after a job at Chick-fil-A he had last year didn't give him the college experience he desired.
"I just want to experience something," Patton said. "When I was living in an apartment, I wasn't experiencing anything. I wasn't involved in anything and nothing was coming out of it. At least with the homeless experience, I know I'll get something out of it. Whether it's a good thing or a bad thing, something's going to come out of it."
Patton pays for school through loans and money from his mother.
Patton also sold his motorcycle last year to pay for the initial gear and food needed to live without a roof over his head for the next three semesters.
Krisiti Browning, Patton's friend, said Patton has never followed the norm.
"Out of our group of friends, he's always been the one that thinks differently than all of us," Browning said. "He always wants to do all these activities that aren't like what everyone else is doing. He wants to be his own person."
Patton said the worst part about being homless is the five hours of downtime every day, but he said he has been able to join more organizations on campus, such as UPC and intramural sports, while also tutoring people.
Patton said he wants to student teach in Taiwan through Consortium for Overseas Student Teaching and then go to South Korea to teach full time.
"After I come back from (South Korea), I think I'll want to settle down and start my career," Patton said. "I don't like being tied down because I think it hurts your opportunities."
David Chambers, Patton's uncle, said he doesn't really know what to make of Patton's lifestyle.
"When he first told me about it, I thought he was insane," David said. "I do like the way that it helps you experience the way people are. When you have no income and no place to stay, you tend to rely on the kindness and generosity of others."
Patton's brother, Nicholas Chambers, said Patton would not regret this life choice.
"One thing I can say about Patton is when he's old and gray, he won't look back on his life and say, 'There were things that I should've done or done differently,'" Nicholas said. "He's living life to the fullest and that's definitely something we can all learn from."
During the winter months, Patton said he will hang out in the Student Center as much as he can.
Patton said there would have to be a life-or-death situation for him to stop living homeless. He plans to live this way until he graduates in three semesters.
"If I got some kind of intense illness or something happened with my family, I would quit," Patton said.
Nicholas said he has faith in Patton to stay homeless until he graduates.
"For anybody else, I would say they would only last till the winter, but with Patton, even if he doesn't like it, he's pretty stubborn and if he says he's going to do something then he will," Nicholas said.
When Patton isn't in class or playing intramural sports, he blogs about his homeless adventures at Patton1990s.tumblr.com.
Other than Patton's biggest fear of misplacing something, he said the homeless lifestyle works for him.
"It's like you're on an endless vacation, especially on a campus like Auburn," Patton said. "I'm always free. I can always do everything and I'm tied down by nothing."

Share and discuss “Student saves money by using only University resources and facilities” on social media.