Tigers finish day one of SEC Championships

false

Alexander Hancock swims in the meet. (Emily Enfinger | Photo Editor)

Auburn's swimming and diving team is looking to uphold the deep tradition of No.1 rankings and championships at the 2015 SEC Championships at the James E. Aquatics Center this week.
The Tigers looked like they could do just that at times Tuesday, Feb. 17, but conference rivals didn't make it easy for their hosts.
After day one of the five-day meet, Auburn's men are in first place with 177 points and the women's team is tied for eighth with Alabama at 105 points.
Junior Justin Youtsey, senior Fraser McKean and freshman Pete Turnham started out the competition with the 1-meter springboard.
Although the Tigers didn't have an individual score in the top five, the divers finished with the most team points through the first event with 69.
Youtsey recorded a season-best score of 329.85, good enough for sixth place. McKean and Turnham finished close behind the junior in seventh and eighth.
"We started off with diving and it really set us up for the day," said coach Brett Hawke. "Getting three up on the men's side was huge. It just gives the team confidence starting a meet already knowing you're in the lead. Those guys did an outstanding job."
Junior Jillian Vitarius, sophomore Natasha Lloyd, senior Megan Fonteno and sophomore Allyx Purcell finished third in the women's 200 medley, only .59 seconds off the school record, while the men's team finished fourth in the same event.
Freshman Hugo Morris led the way for Auburn's men in the 800 freestyle relay as he broke the school record in the 200 free with a leadoff split of 1:33.39. Anchored by sophomore Joe Patching, the Tigers finished second behind Florida, who broke the SEC record in the event, touching in at 6:12.85.The top four teams finished with the fastest times in the nation and the top six teams were automatic NCAA qualifying times in the event.
"To come back and see Rowdy Gaines' record go down in the 200 free after all these years was great, especially since it happened on Rowdy's birthday," Hawke said. "It was an outstanding performance by those four guys in the 800 free relay, especially Hugo Morris."
Auburn's women finished 11th in their 800 medley relay and the final event of the evening as Georgia took the crown with a time of 6:55.69, the fastest time in the nation this year.
"We were strong in the 200 medley relay, but we are a little conservative in some of our change overs which cost us," Hawke said.

Share and discuss “Tigers finish day one of SEC Championships” on social media.