SGA approves money for organizations programming

The SGA’s Monday, March 30 meeting saw new orders of business in the form of a program expansion fund and the confirmation of the student senate chairpersons.

India Way, senator for the College of Business, proposed a bill in the form of a program expansion fund. The expansion fund allocated $2,000 to the Organizations Programming line item of the Center for Student Organizations and Welcome Week fiscal budget because of the increase in the volume of nominations for the Involvement Awards, according to Way.

“Involvement awards are recognizing leaders on campus who have been nominated by their constituents who have shown great leadership,” Way said. "It’s just a really good recognition for student leaders and the number of people nominated this year increased exponentially partly because there are more students and partly because this is kind of a new thing. Now that people know about it, they’re really taking advantage of it.”

This bill came through senate last year as a program expansion fund, but a clerical error in the body of the bill caused the senate to revisit this program expansion fund request during this week’s senate meeting, Way said.

“Last year, this came through the budget and finance committee and was passed as a program expansion fund,” Way said. “It came through senate executive committee and was passed as a program expansion fund. It made it to the senate floor and the subject line said ‘program expansion fund’ but there was a typo in the body of the bill and it said ‘reserve fund request.’ Since it was passed with that wordage in the actually bill, that’s what it was documented as. That’s why they’re having to come back again and go through this process again.”

The bill passed unanimously. Therefore, the change will make the funds permanent, rather than temporary as accidentally filed last year.

In other SGA news, the senate confirmed the 2015-16 Student Senate Chairpersons. The chairpersons sit on the executive committee and include Brandon Honeywell as the chairman of the Executive Committee, Jacqueline Keck as chairman of Academic Affairs, India Way as chairman of the Budget and Finance Committee, Meredith Smith as chairman of the Code of Laws, Drake Pooley as chairman of the Diversity and Multicultural Affairs Committee and Lucas Tribble as the chairman of Student Affairs.

Next week in SGA:

* India Napier, a former senator for the College of Veterinary Medicine, will face appointment as the president of the Graduate School Council

* Burcu Ozden will face appointment as the vice president of the Graduate School Council.

* A recognition of Michael Waller’s advising position and contribution to the College of Liberal Arts will come across the senate floor.

Share and discuss “SGA approves money for organizations programming” on social media.