Advisers weigh in on the Grade Adjustment Policy

<p>(File photo)</p>

(File photo)

It’s that time in the semester when the drop period has ended, and students who may be doing poorly in their classes are faced with an ultimatum: Should I GAP or take the F?

Lori McLean, communications and journalism adviser, said the Grade Adjust Policy (GAP) has proven itself to provide life support to GPAs.

Removing an F from the GPA of a student on academic warning can keep the student’s GPA above the 2.0 mark required to avoid academic probation, according to Pamela Hennessey, nursing adviser.

Hennessey said the GAP option exists to give students a second chance at success.

However, GAPing will not clean up the student’s GPA if the student is looking to advance to graduate school.

“Graduate schools look at the student’s cumulative GPA, which shows the grades students have GAPed,” Hennessey said.

According to Hennessey, many students believe the misconception that GAPing erases a poor grade from their transcript.

“The first grade for the GAPed course is left on the transcript, but there is an asterisk placed beside it indicating the class was GAPed,” Hennessey said. “The grade earned retaking the course is also listed. The asterisk might draw more attention to the grade than if it had not been GAPed, depending on who is looking at it.”

McLean also said GAPing can be harmful in some scenarios.

“In some situations, students want to gap a D, and then they retake the class and do even worse the second time and exhaust two of the three allowed GAPs,” McLean said.

McLean said the alternative option to failing or GAPing leaves students with the decision of whether or not to withdraw from a class.

Withdrawing from classes can become a habit, according to McLean.

Mid-term grade postings are mandatory for all core classes at Auburn, according to McLean.

“Students should have a pretty good idea of where they stand so they can make a decision during the drop period with grades posted at mid-term,” McLean said. “When at a student’s record is being evaluated and W after W is listed, it could be viewed as negative. If we see where a student has GAPed a class multiple times or withdrawn from a number of classes, we then start to look at whether or not they are in the right major.”

Katie Lackey, human sciences adviser, said another approach to improving a student’s academic standing is utilizing campus resources.

“I make sure they know how to get access to supplemental instruction sessions and Academic Support Services,” Lackey said. “Having good study habits and understanding the syllabus can greatly help.”

Share and discuss “Advisers weigh in on the Grade Adjustment Policy” on social media.