Rebecca Oliver | Campus Writer

The Auburn Plainsman
Campus

Waclaw Syzbalski documentary screened in Auburn

Director Anna Ferens’ documentary of Polish biochemist Waclaw Syzbalski’s life was shown in a screening in Thach Hall Tuesday, April 28 at 6 p.m. The documentary titled “The Essence of Life” shows the connection between Syzbalski’s research and the historical moments he witnessed, such as the Russian invasion of Poland in 1939, according to Ferens. "When I talked to him I decided he was a good person for a documentary because of the historical background in his life," Ferens said.

The Auburn Plainsman
Campus

Auburn named ‘green college,' only University in the state

Auburn University was named one of The Princeton Review’s Guide to 353 Green Colleges. Auburn was the only university in the state to be included in the list, according to Mike Kensler, director of the Office of Sustainability. More than 2,000 schools were considered for the guide before the 353 featured schools were selected according to Kensler. Kensler said the schools were chosen based on the criteria in a survey compiled by The Princeton Review, which determines the level of focus that the university puts on fostering a green environment on their campuses including energy conservation plan, food waste, sustainability academic programs, public transportation efficiency and presence of Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) buildings. LEED buildings criteria include energy efficiency, water efficiency, building health responsible construction, design and management, according to Kensler. Kensler said buildings are inspected to make sure the building is built to LEED standards.

The Auburn Plainsman
Campus

Researcher predicts water scarceness

Auburn University assistant professor Shufen “Susan” Pan has conducted research on global climate change that suggests there may be water scarcity in more than half of the world’s land area by the end of the 21st century. Pan is one of the researchers for Auburn’s International Center for Climate and Global Change research, which has been recognized by the White House for its contributions to the U.S.

More articles »