Alpha Xi Delta lights it up blue

The Zeta Xi chapter of Alpha Xi Delta held its “Shine On” event April 2 to raise autism awareness.

The event consisted of guitar music and, free pizza and two speakers.

The event concluded with the lighting of blue lights in Samford Hall and Cater Hall.

Hannah Lorenzen, the philanthropy vice president for Alpha Xi Delta, said April 2 is an important day for autism and this is one of their bigger philanthropy events.

“This is basically to raise awareness for Autism and today is actually the World Annual Autism Awareness Day and it’s the eighth one for Autism Speaks, so we’re very fortunate,” Lorenzen said.

Lorenzen also said the purpose of the ceremony was not to raise money, but to focus solely on awareness.

“We do a 5k in the fall that raises money for the philanthropy and then we also do some benefit nights in the spring,” Lorenzon said. “This is just purely for awareness.”

Emily Browning, Alpha Xi Delta president, said two speakers came to talk about the impact autism has had on their life.

“One of our speakers is Angie Burke, who is a professor here at Auburn and then our second speaker, April Rapp is from Happy Tree Pre-school,” Browning said.

Browning said April is Autism Awareness Month.

“We’ll be lighting up Cater Hall and Samford Hall blue for the month of April,” Browning said. “It’s our outward symbol to shine a light on autism and autism awareness.”

Christie Clayton, a member of Alpha Xi Delta and a freshman in nursing, said it was an important night for the chapter.

“I think it will be a really good opportunity for the Auburn public to come see what Alpha Xi Delta supports with our philanthropy,” Clayton said. “This and our walk are kind of our big events so this is a big night for our spring semester.”

Anna Kramer, freshman in liberal arts, said this is only one of the events the sorority does for its philanthropy.

“We also have benefit knots at certain restaurants,” Kramer said. “We had one at Zoe’s and some of the proceeds they make at the restaurant goes to our philanthropy.”

Kramer said this particular sorority stood out to her doing rush because she has a brother that has autism.

“It’s affected my life,” Kramer said. “My older brother was diagnosed when he was four years old, so I’ve grown up with it and I also had a cousin diagnosed with it a few months ago.”

Share and discuss “Alpha Xi Delta lights it up blue” on social media.