AU Singers perform at Kreher Preserve and Nature Center

The AU Singers sang and danced the afternoon away before a crowd at the Music in the Forest event at the Kreher Preserve and Nature Center on Saturday, April 11.

The Music in the Forest benefit concert, which is now in its second year, is a collaboration between KPNC and Auburn University’s Music Department, according to Jennifer Lolley, outreach administrator for KPNC. The event serves to provide the community with musical entertainment while benefitting KPNC’s children’s educational programs and AUMD’s student scholarship fund.

Sixteen members of the AU Singers performed a few musical numbers, including crowd favorites such as Bob Seger’s “Old Time Rock n Roll,” Simon and Garfunkel’s “Bridge over Troubled Water” and Olly Murs’ “Dance With Me Tonight.” They closed their show with “Ease on Down the Road,” an upbeat song from the musical "The Wiz."

The performance also featured two solo acts of the hit songs “Blank Space” by Taylor Swift, and “Somethin’ Bad” by Miranda Lambert and Carrie Underwood.

“It was great having everyone here and having all these people out here supporting us, and the atmosphere was great,” said Ashley Moates, member of the AU Singers and sophomore in pre-communication disorders.

The AU Singers’ performance featured some musical numbers from their fall show, as well as a few new ones that will be in their upcoming spring show on May 2-3, according to Moates.

“I felt like we had a lot of fun with it,” said Zachary Blomeley, member of the AU Singers and junior in accounting. “We don’t really get to perform outdoors, and we don’t really usually perform small shows like this. We’re really grateful to everybody that came out.”

Audience members young and old enjoyed the AU Singers’ performance, with a few dancing to the upbeat songs and several more clapping along.

Margaret Holler, member of the Advisory Board for KPNC, said she loved watching many of the children dance and enjoy the entire show, even with most of the songs being more recognizable to adults.

“This place has so much to offer young families and children, and [the performance] is a perfect example,” Holler said.

In addition to the AU Singers’ performance, KPNC will feature more performances by some of AUMD’s ensembles this quarter as part of the music series.

“We are always striving to serve new audiences and hope that the music series will inspire people to discover the preserve and the wonderful opportunities found there to enjoy and learn about nature,” said Jamie Anderson, coordinator for KPNC.

Share and discuss “AU Singers perform at Kreher Preserve and Nature Center ” on social media.